1.8T 180 to 225 bhp

Dave

Well i have been reading a bit about this recently and it depends on the engine version.

Apparently you can have some 1.8Ts with a K03 turbo and some with a K03s.

As i understand the engines with a K03 you can get to around the 210bhp mark with safely just with a remap, beyond that you need turbo, intercoolers, maybe change in compression ratio, etc.

Engines with K03s appear to be able to get to aroudn 230bhp with just the remap, from what I can gather the K03s is a K03 turbo housing with K04 internals, hence a little stronger.

Yeah, the K03S is supposedly a K04 Compressor side, mated to the std K03 Exhaust side smashfreakB.gif

But I've yet to see anything showing for sure which engine codes got the K03 or the K03S. Some folks will say that all 1.8T's with either DBW or VVT have the K03S, but I know my ARX engine has VVT, but am doubting that I have a K03S smashfreakB.gif

That said, a straight remap took me from 150hp to 210 FIREdevil.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

Well apparently most of the 1.8T New Beetles have a K03s and remaps regularly give 230bhp. But I remember talking to Danny at RSD who was explaining that the K03 Oettinger do not tune past 210bhp because it would then exceeed it design tollerances for speed of rotation ,etc in accordance with TUV cerification.

Hmmm, funny, as there was nothing mentioned to me when I had her remapped smashfreakB.gif Although that COULD explain why I had to take her back in. The Tech told me the turbo was making more boost, quicker, than the std remap was written for confused.gif I just wish I could find out for SURE suicide.gif

Oh well, anyway, it doesn't take much to get the 1.8T to around 225 grin.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

The 225hp engines have K04 turbos, lower compression ratio (9.0 to 1) and of course different engine management. Also, the injectors are larger 380cc I believe, the MAF is different too (same maf as the VR6 in the 225hp) there are some other changes but I cant remember now...

Sorry Barry, I do not think thart is correct.

180 bhp engines are 150s with slightly better heads and a slight remap. I have first hand experience of 150 bhp chipped to 190 and a 180 to 208bhp and that was the tops. Both have KO3 turbos. I'm sure I still have the rolling road graphs.

RSD have told me that 190 bhp( with two intercoolers) have KO3s turbos ( KO3 exhaust and a KO4 impeller). These engines can go to 215/ 220 ish but really need larger injectors to reach 230 bhp ( Oettinger do a 230bhp including chip injectors and a new inlet pipe )

I'm tempted with my new S Line cool.gif

Hmm, unsure of my Turbo, but my 150 ARX engine went to 210 with just the Oettinger remap SMOKE6.GIF

I believe that where the extra hp is coming in from older 150 engines is in that, the newer ones have VVT and DBW which can be more finely tuned with the remap crazy.gif

Now if you know somebody who can tell me for sure that my ARX has a K03S, then I'd gladly shut up grin.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I know your post was a couple of weeks ago but I've only just spotted it. Apparently according to a chap at Revo I contacted, you'll get 210bhp from a 180 with a straight re-map. To get 221bhp you need the 4bar setting which requires the Fuel Pressure Regulator to be changed to that of a 225bhp S3 or TT (VAG part# 078133534C). I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done this.