What is the best car you've ever owned?

Milo

On the theme of what car you have now, what is the best car you've ever owned? Not the fastest, most expensive but the one that has put the biggest smile on your face?

Mine has got to be a 1990 G reg Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia.

It was red with 15" pepperpot (?) alloys and it was the first car I bought new (£11,000 IIRC blush.gif).

It had a heated front screen and a stereo with separate amplifier which seemed cutting edge at the time.

I was 19 and paid nearly £1000 for my first year's insurance which was a hell of a lot back in those days (it is now I suppose as I only pay £346 for an A4!).

I kept it for 5 years and very reluctantly sold it when I ventured into the property market for the first time. I loved that car like no other and I hated selling it.

It seemed super fast at the time and I was the envy of all my mates for a while.

The 185 tyres were considered very wide among my Fiesta owning peers. ECLIPSe.gif

Happy days cool.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, difficult one this.

I think my current car would have to win BUT....

...I had seemingly endless fun and smiles in my Mazda MX-5 in my mid-twenties. Simply sublime drivers cars. Until I rolled it.

The M3 Convertible wins though. Hood down, foot to the floor, country lane, engine and exhaust note combined, very smiley face.

Good post. 169144-ok.gif

My Audi Cab is the best, but the one I enjoyed the most was a VW Golf GTI MKII.

I'd had a Nissan Micra for a while, then a poverty spec Peageot 309, both fairly dire cars.

Then when I was about 26 I got this gorgeous gorgeous Golf GTI. One of the last of the MkII's, it was metallic black with factory sunroof, elec windows, central locking, 15 inch BBS alloys, big bumpers, black rear lenses, the lot.

It was my first really desirable car, and I had a phone in it (this was back when phones were very rare). It was a yuppie dream machine and I loved it!

First day I picked it up I drove home the long way, about a 250 mile trip. I got home, made myself a drink, went and looked out of the window at it for a few momments, then grabbed the keys and went and drove it for another hour!

Loved that car. cool.gif

Not a terribly good photo, but here it is. notworthy.gif

409483-TSNGolf1.jpg

post-169-13791430605_thumb.jpg

I think my best car so far has to be the Ferrari red S3.

lots of reasons..

1. my first brand new car.

2. my introduction to Audi, Turbo charged cars, Quattro, 6 speed box and all the toys. One of the reasons i went for the S3. A different power delivery etc from my previous FWD NA cars.

3. Stunning one off paint.

4.Made alot of good friends on the various forums since.

The one that puts the most smiles on my face......

Well pathetically its gotta be my current Fiesta Si 1.6

It rides badly, the exhaust gives me a chronic headache at motorway speeds, and under heavy braking the back end has a nasty habit of going all light and trying very hard to overtake the front.

But give it the right road and I can just forget all those faults and push it as hard as I dare, theres plenty lift off oversteer available but the transistion isn't too violent and once you get to know it can just make you grin from ear to ear.

Then you get to a straight and just push a little too far on the throttle and back comes the misfire and the whole illusion is shattered in the din of a 4-cylinder engine only running on 3-cylinders being fired through the WORST exhaust system in the world.

Still, for those few corners it makes you feel so good you could almost mistake it for a decent car. openfire.gif

Thorburn, your total own-car derision and honesty never fails to make me smile. Every car has its moments and reading the above reminds us all that motoring isn't about the car being a certain type of car...it's about moments in the car, the ones you remember. The last memory type things.

Carry on being as honest though, because it never fails to bring a smile (and as I am aching like hell from the dentists still it is very welcome!).

[ QUOTE ]

The one that puts the most smiles on my face......its gotta be my current Fiesta Si 1.6.....give it the right road and I can just forget all those faults and push it as hard as I dare, theres plenty lift off oversteer available but the transistion isn't too violent and once you get to know it can just make you grin from ear to ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I mean! It may not be the fastest car/most expensive car you'll ever own but I bet you'll never forget what it was like!

There were loads of niggles on my Orion including a fuel computer that never worked, a gearbox that always dripped oil, an engine that always dripped oil but boy did I have some fun!

Edit - it also got me my first speeding ticket smashfreakB.gif

Of course, my current car just can't be ignored, but the first car I had that was mine and therefore dearly loved was my Cav 1.7 TDI in LS trim, but with GLS wheel caps (not an early chavster, it came like that, honest!). Ex-Avis car I bought for £10k with 19k miles on the clock, yes it had probably had a real beating but Avis must have serviced it well as it was like new when I got it - pristine inside and out. With decent rubber on, it was a hoot to drive (Clarkson had it figured wrong, yes the steering was completely dead, so you just had to drive by psychic force) and the TDI lump was quite grunty if you kept the turbo well spooled up.

And you could go 500 miles without needing a filling station. Those were the days...

[ QUOTE ]

Thorburn, your total own-car derision and honesty never fails to make me smile. Every car has its moments and reading the above reminds us all that motoring isn't about the car being a certain type of car...it's about moments in the car, the ones you remember. The last memory type things.

Carry on being as honest though, because it never fails to bring a smile (and as I am aching like hell from the dentists still it is very welcome!).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to, people all seem too polite to take the piss out of it here and it just wouldn't seem like a car forum if someone wasn't doing it wink.gif

Skyline R34 GTR - bought new for cash 169144-ok.gif

Most satisfying car I've ever owned for a numeber of reasons.... The car was fantastic, and it was my goal to be able to afford a proper car. By afford I mean buy out right.

Kind of a personal/work goal kinda thing.

I'm tempted to get another one.... but it might ruin it for me grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Skyline R34 GTR - bought new for cash 169144-ok.gif

Most satisfying car I've ever owned for a numeber of reasons.... The car was fantastic, and it was my goal to be able to afford a proper car. By afford I mean buy out right.

Kind of a personal/work goal kinda thing.

I'm tempted to get another one.... but it might ruin it for me grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mac, no pics of said beast??

It's hard to look beyond the RS6 - performance to burn and, particularly in unbadged form, devastatingly stealthy.

But I've enjoyed most of my cars in their way. My Fiesta Popular, with 947cc of raw apathy, holds a special place in my heart as my first car. My Astra SRi was my first "quick" car - I drove like a total eejit and thought I was the dog's nads. And my Fiat Coupe was fantastic - often knocked by those who have never driven one and very underrated.

The RS6 comes out as the winner, though, just ahead of the Fiesta shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, back to the whole 'gf doesn't like it and will not drive it' thing again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm failing to see how that could ever be anything less than a god send!

What doesn't she like about driving all these cars you've had? Is it because they are all manuals? An image thing?

I guess I could understand the Boxster because she may have been wary of the mid-engined layout or had problems with visability or felt vulnerable because of the low down driving position and lack of a proper roof, but I'd have thought the Impreza and a car such as the Alpina would fundamentally be at least a little similar to drive around town.

[ QUOTE ]

My Fiesta Popular, with 947cc of raw apathy

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

I had a Cordoba Beige 1.1 Popular Plus Fiesta (1981 vintage) and it used to wee all over my mate's 950 Popular (but his had an electric window washer whereas mine had a manual pump you had to push with your clutch foot! grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

but I'd have thought the Impreza and a car such as the Alpina would fundamentally be at least a little similar to drive around town

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif If you'd heard my P1, you'd be in no doubt as to why the GF hated it. Birds just don't get the whole Scoob/Evo thing!!

[ QUOTE ]

I had a Cordoba Beige 1.1 Popular Plus Fiesta (1981 vintage) and it used to wee all over my mate's 950 Popular (but his had an electric window washer whereas mine had a manual pump you had to push with your clutch foot! grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had a chance to by back my mums first Fiesta which she owned from new until bought the one that I drive now in 1995.

It was a 1978 (I think) Mk1 Popular Plus, still absolutely superb condition, not a spot of rust on it (which is more than can be said for mine!) and with just 80000 geniune miles on the clock.

I was actually a little bit tempted but I get the feeling it would of been more than a little disappointing.

has to be my A4 Cab, Admittedly it cost me the earth in petrol but it was theonly car that made me feel special when driving it, I would look at it in shop windows and it really turned heads (not that other people's opinions really bother me) but it really was a special car IMO! 409526-mya4.JPG

post-5759-137914306053_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

I had a Cordoba Beige 1.1 Popular Plus Fiesta (1981 vintage) and it used to wee all over my mate's 950 Popular

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah? But you must have spent at least 37 pence more to get the Plus (and the extra 153cc) so mine was better value for money. And yours was beige 1.gif, at least I had sophisticated Burgundy Red yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I actually had a chance to by back my mums first Fiesta which she owned from new until bought the one that I drive now in 1995.

It was a 1978 (I think) Mk1 Popular Plus, still absolutely superb condition, not a spot of rust on it (which is more than can be said for mine!) and with just 80000 geniune miles on the clock.

I was actually a little bit tempted but I get the feeling it would of been more than a little disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, they are surprisingly flingable.