GTI = W*nker Magnet???

Jack_is_Back

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£££££££££££££££££££££ too much I'm afraid Sam,tho' good idea.

Any of you apparently affluent tyresmoke types wanna revisit your youth by getting your hands dirty?(and also pissing off the missus)

Go on-it's too good to chuck away & I'd like to see it go to a good home!!

Here's a project for you!!!! 169144-ok.gif

Gearbox whining more than me when I have to buy a round,central locking's packed up 'cos the back lock solenoid threw a wobbly-car has to be entered by pulling the catch from passenger side.

It stops as soon as I take my foot off the gas,tho' I'll get that sorted as It's a threat to my life & others!

3 doors-AKA the 'Dark Destroyer'-needs more £ than I have tho' crazy.gif

Wouldn't agree with the title myself. Had an excellent encounter with a Focus ST earlier this year on the way down to a TSN meet. We courteously allowed each other to scream past between middle and outside lane, and got to oggle each others' gleaming metal at the same time! cool.gif

Did notice that the door handles on the new Focus appear to stick out a fair way from the car. Thought he had his fuel cap open at one point !

I actually had two good encounters the other day, unfortunately these were more than cancelled out by the 'missile on bonnet' incident.

The funniest one was two kids walking along with their mum, pointing, grinning and waving as I drove towards them looking for a parking space. There was nowhere to park so I turned round and gave it some welly driving away from them - bet they loved it! ECLIPSe.gif

A couple of weeks before I had my GTI remapped, I had a new XK8 convertible rding my bumper on the M27 from Portsmouth to Chichester - I was already doing 90mph!!!, but the best thing was he had a 996 Turbo riding his bumper. I slipped it into sport and booted it, catching him completely by surprise, I accelerated up to 'a silly speed', promptly to arrive at slow moving traffic when the 996 undertook both of us. At this point I backed off and the XK8 undertook the whole line of traffic - I left them both to play with each other.

I must admit it take take a little while for the XK8 to catch me up. Obviously the 996 got pi$$ed off waiting though and the XK followed suit.

I know the GTi will never be a match for the Porsche, but now my car is remapped I would like to find another XK and see the difference.

the_finger.gif

Kid in a celica tonight-happy doing 70 in the inside lane of the a46 until he saw GTI on the front as I approached-cue sudden uphill overtake from him,took an eternity then he wouldn't get back in the empty slow lane' cos there was a transit in it 1/4 mile in front.

My commute's 66 miles total daily,I know the best cruising speed for mpg & trying to make the old car last until september but.......

Sometimes it's the bloody principle isn't it?

Sod all the above excuses for moderation,I floored it & disappeared into the distance!

Young whip'! openfire.gifopenfire.gifopenfire.gifopenfire.gifopenfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I pray MrMe doesn't see your post Oli, we will be in the fireing line again.

Seriously though i thought the new XK was a bit of a beast at 30-75 and at higher speeds. Its 0-60 is a bit poor but its advantages were at higher speed 70-100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I'm not sure in this case. The problem with the XK8 Convertible is it weighs over 1/2 ton more than the GTi yet only has a 3.0 litre engine.

So, whilst it produces almost a full 100bhp more than the GTi, if you look at bhp per ton you find that the GTi output is 147 p/t and the Jag drops to 162 p/t - so a mere 15 bhp difference in standard form.

Then, add to that the fact that something that puts a lot of people off the Jag is that it's torque is well down on what you might expect for a car of its type - and it doesn't really surprise me that, caught right, OliH could pull away for a while.

The Jag's 90mph+ grunt is also very poor indeed. That's where it's 3.0 engine lets it down in particular - and again the torque just isn't there.

I think a few Jag XK8 drivers will be embarassed on the roads, and probably take the car straight back and ask 'why' instead of finding out beforehand....

[ QUOTE ]

He likes the fact that some owners think our cars are a match for Aston's (XK's) etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have spies everywhere you know. yelrotflmao.gif

I do like the fact a few (and it is just a few) think they're a match for Noel in his DB9...but I also try to stick to facts and as said above, the XK8 Convertible is a car that GTi drivers could certainly keep with for a decent period of time and cause embarassment to if the GTi Turbo spooled in at the right time.

Had a B4 Subaru up my a$$ on way home. It had blacked out windows and seemed lowered etc... Came to a dual-carriageway so I kicked it and moved over (expecting B4 to come hurtling past). Nahhh, it was stuck in that horrible no-mans land as I accelerated through to a ridiculous speed. I was VERY impressed with the way the GTI pulls just as hard through 4th and 5th gears as it does in 2nd. My

cCar has only done 1300 miles!! The B4 eventually pulled in behind me but was falling behind all the time with no chance of catching me up.

Do you mean a B4 Legacy/Impreza? If that's the case then I'd suggest he wasn't trying. No offence intended with that, but you're talking about a car with a hell of lot more power and a much higher bhp p/t ratio.

The reason being they put out well over 280hp in standard form and have a very potent turbo on them. A B4 would leave a GTi very quickly indeed if the guy floored it.

It was a B4 legacy and YES he was trying m8. I have owned a 270bhp WRX Impreza for 3 years prior to the GTI and mid-range they aint that good. Admittedly I got the drop on him but 50-100+ (allegedly wink.gif the GTI is storming. I was amazed at how much it kept pulling. Dont forget - NO turbo lag on the Golf = significant advantage. YES, in a straight line the B4 should easily pull away but in real-world driving conditions the Golf seems to be holding its own very nicely.

[ QUOTE ]

The reason being they put out well over 280hp in standard form and have a very potent turbo on them. A B4 would leave a GTi very quickly indeed if the guy floored it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I need to find one!! If we are quoting figures, my BHP/ton is far greater, and as already stated, I have two distinct advantages - no turbo lag, and DSG - should be a pushover - Bring it on

On paper and on the road my GTI will win........ oh unless of course its wet!!!! jump.gif