Wind noise above 60mph

Booster

A good mate of mine has been round to show me his new (to him) 55 plate 2.0TQ S-Line avant. Very nice it is too.

He's got a problem though: At speeds above 60mph or so there is a really loud wind noise that sounds like it is coming from the air vents. He took me out in the car and I heard it myself. Also, when he parks it up the windcreen mists up really badly (it actually drips water onto the dash) and doesn't de-mist even with the blowers on full.

I think the problems are related. Any ideas folks?

So far as the noise is concerned, turn the air to re circ. (Then you just get mirror wind noise)

As for the misting, I get this all the time. Audi dealer says nothing wrong just condensation, but its awful.

As you say it is such heavy condensation it drips and only clears after about 10 minutes on full heat / full fan.

I suspect there is a small leak in the heating matrix as the coolant level is falling very very very slowly - too slowly for audi to 'detect'.

Also have to run the car with the 'aircon' on all the time, not on 'Econ' mode which I did with our identical B7 saloon last year, otherwise the car mists up even on a warm day.

Something is wrong..... just hard to show to the dealer.

Keep in touch and we shall see if this can be sorted.

Didn't read the misting part of the original post - does the light on the "ECON" button go out if you press the ECON button, and come back on if you press it again?

When G/F's aircon lost gas pressure, the ECON light was always on, and it wouldn't cool the air. The front windscreen misted up etc too.

After a dealer visit to have the pipes checked/fixed and the air/con regassed, the problem went away.

I run all the cars with the aircon on all the time. The closest I get to misting is in the morning if the cars been outside all night the windscreen gets a slight mist over the bottom half of it when I start the car first, it only last 5 seconds tops.

I asked in the dealers yesterday when I was picking up my S8 and the tech said if your getting any form of misting with the aircon on then something is wrong, he couldn't say without seeing the car but he has seen it/fixed it before by replacing the most of the unit. I mentioned to him what you said MRT1 about your dealer, his reply, "wait till it goes out of warrenty and they'll see the problem quick enough"

[ QUOTE ]

I had my climate adjusted to "comfort settings" yesterday to reduce the throughput of air at speed.

Haven't had a chance to do over 30MPH yet but will let you know.

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know you could do that, dealer only job I take it.

Let us know what difference it makes, not just to the noise but the way the aircon works