RedRobin gets Revo'd...

RedRobin

169144-ok.gif

I had quite a long phone chat with Kev this afternoon (I met him in person at GTI International in the Summer) so I could answer some of the questions in this thread as accurately as possible. I also took the opportunity to discuss tuning/modding generally and I'm definitely still impressed by him and Revo in its current form.

Very, very greasy in my neck of the woods today - Appropriate shoes on right foot make the difference! I wasn't wearing my Piloti's just for local journeys and experienced wheelspin quite easily but this was mostly because I was consciously exploring the thresholds of loss of traction.

At the risk of repeating myself and being boring: Off like a scolded cat as soon as she found grip (no wonder lottie is trying to locate me, her being a cat lover! grin.gif). More turbo whistle evident at lower revs too - Very enjoyable 169144-ok.gif.

I've got some longer 3-figure journeys on Friday/Saturday/Sunday - I can't wait!

I'm looking forward to reading reviews of the 230 bhp Ed30 Anni.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't agree more, Rich 169144-ok.gif

A modern car like the Mk5 GTI is bristling with sensors and devices which are constantly and continuously adaptive to whatever the circumstances are. The VW ECU has self protective safeguards regarding engine management and a remap such as that by Revo doesn't attempt to break those safeguards.

With or without a remap, things can still go wrong - To quote BMW: It's only a car.

[Christmas has come early for me! grin.gif]

Things happen fast around here don't they. Two days ago I was having an off line chat with Red about a pending Revo remap and here we are pages and pages later.

Your experiences are pretty similar to mine with the APR re-map (see the thread I'll post shortly). There's no doubt that the re-map makes the smiles bigger and last longer.

The insurance was a great outcome. I' didn't do quite so well but the increase was very marginal - probably stems from the fact I'm not as old as you are!!

Anyway, it proves that the red ones do go faster.

Enjoy.

Re the insurance, I sometimes reckon that it's simply a matter of luck who you speak to on the day as to how your insurance policy gets arranged. About 9 months ago when I told my insurer about my exhaust, I had been mistakenly informed by Milltek NONO3.GIF that it increased my power by about 10-15 bhp without any remap, and so my premium was increased. My premium was later decreased when I corrected the info. This was the same insurer as now.

Looking forward to your APR thread, Oz 169144-ok.gif

Can't remember your previous threads but did the insurance increase with their the brake or suspension mods?

I have been reading the AP brake thread with interest. It will be my next mod in the new year. I'm also tempted with the Koni package you have but there is still a waiting list at this stage of a few months for supply and fit.

Brake and suspension mods didn't increase my insurance jump.gif

If, or should I say when!?, you add Koni FSDs and appropriate springs, it's a good idea to upgrade the anti-roll bars..........Slippery Slope again!! The suspension is then a more complete package (for road use) and it all works well with the big brake kit.

My impression from our chats is that re-map, brakes, and suspension is probably as much as you need to do regarding mods. You would be doing them in the reverse order to myself - Comes from living in Oz I suppose grin.gif

169144-ok.gif

Definitely the brakes next - I can get them done when I have some time off in January.

The Koni FSD are on a long back order situation tat the moment down here. I would also include the Eibach components as you have. My guess at the moment is if I backorder the Koni's I should have them on around Easter. Plenty of time to re-gather some $$ after the brake up grade.

As for being back the front - well its summer over here isn't it so I gues we are all a bit back the front.

Just to update my report about getting Revo'd:-

Have just driven about 340 miles on mostly fast dual-carriageway A-roads but some sharply twisting B-roads. Unfortunately I had to stop driving so enthusiastically on the twisties because my daughter was getting a bit green at the gills!

As others have already reported, both with Revo and other tuner's remaps, the mid-range is where the most dramatic improvement is. Typical real-world scenario is cruising along and coming across a car doing 70 while overtaking another vehicle doing 65 frown.gif....So you stay at a safe braking distance and patiently wait for them to complete their overtaking manoeuvre SLEEP5.GIF....Then you're off....Whooosh!! Making good progress. The point is that I'm now finding that with the combination of faster acceleration in the mid-range and better brakes, I naturally hang back further with an even safer braking distance but, due to the better performance, I'm not going to be lessening my opportunity to go for the overtake.

If I say that the GTI seats come much more into play with a remap, I think you'll know what I mean. Even more fun exiting roundabouts now too! 169144-ok.gif

Overall, the car feels totally at ease with the Stage1 remap.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Overall, the car feels totally at ease with the Stage1 remap.

[/ QUOTE ]

your suspension is really showing it's benefits now I would imagine RR grin.gif

ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Very much so 169144-ok.gif. It's as you said a while ago - Those 'hardware' mods would really come into play if I remapped (though the word "fly" was used IIRC). I reckon I have now built myself a very well balanced and sporty Mk5 GTI and much is due to the good advice of fellow Tyresmokers 169144-ok.gif. I'm not wanting to build a beast which is a handful to drive, so this is just right for my purposes.

Been interesting reading the posts. There seems to be alot of negative talk about re-mapping but I've not heard of any problems with the MKV GTI? Is it because any problems will take miles of abuse before some thing goes wrong? This is the first time I've had a car re-mapped and must say after 5000+ miles I'm still well impressed. The pace of my car still takes me by suprise some times and goes alot faster than it feel/sounds (I need a Carbonio intake me thinks).

Red I'm interested in the suspension mods you've made. Is there a past post I've missed? I think the standard set up with the power grip works very well but how much better would it be with your set up to??? That is the question at the back of my mind (the slippery slope).I'm concerned about the ride becoming to harsh and non compliant. How are you finding it?

Then I'll go for set of 18'BBS CH and a carbon fiber bonnet and...

[ QUOTE ]

The pace of my car still takes me by suprise some times and goes alot faster than it feel/sounds (I need a Carbonio intake me thinks).

[/ QUOTE ]

....The Carbonio CAI obviously improves the 'Air-In >> Gas-Out ' when you have a performance exhaust but its benefits are very subtle and probably not exploited to the full unless you have a Stage2 remap (certainly in the case of Revo's remap options). Since remapping I can now hear the turbo softly whistle but only below about 1,800 revs. I expect it has contributed to my torque but it's probably the least important of my mods and doesn't give you much results that you can actually feel. Looks seriously cool when you open the bonnet though! - NOT the reason I got it.

Here's a link to more about it: HERE

I can hear the turbo more since re-maping but only with the windows down. Would like to hear whats going on under the bonnet more so will be investing in some form of after market induction at some point. The Carbonio does look very nice, is there any weight advantage over the standar air box?

One thing I did pick up on and I did not think to do. Was tell my VW deal that I'd had my car re-maped before it's first service. Ops

[ QUOTE ]

The Carbonio does look very nice, is there any weight advantage over the standar air box?

[/ QUOTE ]

.....Carbonfibre is much much much lighter!! However, unless you have a full-race track car, the weight saving will make no difference to performance.

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I did pick up on and I did not think to do. Was tell my VW deal that I'd had my car re-maped before it's first service. Ops

[/ QUOTE ]

....It's very likely that a VW dealer will update your ECU if VW have made one available and consequently overwrite your remap. Solution is to reinstall your remap afterwards. It's also a good idea to change your map back to stock before the Service - Partly why I chose Revo with its switchability but other tuners have this feature too now.

169144-ok.gif