New to the Diesel Club

David Wilson

Some disagree with me, but.....

Take it out straight away when you pick it up, run it moderately until it's up to temp, then hammer the bollocks off it for 30 miles, both on and off boost. It'll bed the rings in nice and smooth, and the boost pressure is what does this so plenty of max boost driving. If you tootle along without any boost, the engine gets bedded in without seating the rings properly.

I did mine this way and it runs sweet as a nut and burns no oil. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Some disagree with me, but.....

Take it out straight away when you pick it up, run it moderately until it's up to temp, then hammer the bollocks off it for 30 miles, both on and off boost. It'll bed the rings in nice and smooth, and the boost pressure is what does this so plenty of max boost driving. If you tootle along without any boost, the engine gets bedded in without seating the rings properly.

I did mine this way and it runs sweet as a nut and burns no oil. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a great believer in the theory of loading up the engine when new to bed the rings in for petrol engines, just wondered if there was a similar consensus for diesel engines and yes filling it with petrol is probably the biggest worry!!

Only had the car a few days, but have to say well impressed, OK for out and out performance my S3 leaves it for dead, but in everyday driving the A4 handles well, has more than sufficient oomph for every day driving and best of all is averaging around 40mpg, something I've never seen in my life on any past car I have owned!

Black optics pack with the RS4 alloys and Mauritius blue blue paint looks stunning and the bling meter on the car has certainly been working overtime at the admiring glances it gets.

So all in all, my first excursion into the world of soot has gone very well

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread - i'm thinking of moving to diesel but have always been told to drive petrol engines conservatively for 500-1000 miles. I know nothing about inner engine mechanics but i was told something along the lines of... Drive below 3k rpm for the first few hundred miles, then gradually increase the revs over the next few hundred miles till you get to max revs at 1000 miles. This will create even wear as the pistol rods??? move up or down? They higher the revs the further the rods go and bed in. If you do this gradually it creates even wear in the shaft or something.

This all came from a m8 who develops engine management systems for landrover. Try and translate my explanation if its crap but please tell me if its utter rubbish. Buying a high powered diesel i want to extract every bit of power sooner rather than later wink.gif

Of course diesel power bands are much different so i dont know how these things run in. He also mentioned that manufacturers do butch tests where they take an engine from the production line and thrash the boobs of it for days to ensure it can cope and it is up to standard. He said the most if not all engines cope with butch tests and are solid as a rock.

• 2 weeks later...