Audi Phone Cradles - which phones?

Hi, not sure on which phones (someone will in a minute wink.gif) but it is usually older phones, mainly nokia's I think?

The adaptors cost a bomb too!

Would Audi bluetooth be an option?

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I would also be interested in what phone adaptors are availiable.

And also how easy it is to make bluetooth, if you need phone prep to make bluetooth, and if once bluetooth (Audi one) the phone still works via multifuntion steering wheel?

I have phone prep in current car. But found the fact that you (at the time) could only get adaptors for older phones, a pain.

We ended up having a third phone in the car, and not either of our new ones!

Bluetooth would also mean my Wife and I can have different phones, instead of having to have the same model.

Hope they do one for your phone wink.gif

The cradles are Audi parts - and there is only a short list available.

Personally I just don't bother - I use the Audi Bluetooth connection. If you don't spend much time in weak signal areas and you don't need your phone on charge that's what I'd suggest - you have a much wider choice of phones. BUT, not all Bluetooth phones are 100% compatible - some only do hands free, others swap phonebook and call lists as well.

[ QUOTE ]

The cradles are Audi parts - and there is only a short list available.

Personally I just don't bother - I use the Audi Bluetooth connection. If you don't spend much time in weak signal areas and you don't need your phone on charge that's what I'd suggest - you have a much wider choice of phones. BUT, not all Bluetooth phones are 100% compatible - some only do hands free, others swap phonebook and call lists as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah thanks - so the Bluetooth bit still works even if the cradle isn't fitted then? So the cradle would provide power and a link to an antenna that is presumambly in the boot lid?

CraigyB fitted a Bluetooth module into my current Cab and it works a treat - full phone book functions even with a Blackberry.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ah thanks - so the Bluetooth bit still works even if the cradle isn't fitted then? So the cradle would provide power and a link to an antenna that is presumambly in the boot lid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picked up the 07 Cab yesterday - and I can't get that car to recognise the Bluetooth - putting the phone into pairing mode doesn't find anything. It worked fine in my O6 Cab with Bluetooth (CraigyB install).

Does something have to be set to tell the car that Bluetooth is being used - as opposed to the factory fit phone mount in the arm rest?

I ordered my A4 Avant with phone prep in centre armrest and RNS-E, and also gave the dealer the Audi part number for the cradle for a Nokia 6233, which they said they would order through the Parts Department. The car came after 11 weeks, with the prep but no cradle, (that came a month later!) so I used it via bluetooth from day 1 without any problem. Phonebook, calls made and received etc., all downloaded OK even though the Audi list said that the 6233 was not compatible with bluetooth.

• 3 months later...

I've just bought an ex-demonstrator and found these adaptors VERY frustrating!

The technology behind them can't be that difficult, why is the list so limiting. I'm using an iphone via the glovebox ipod connector and it works well, but the GSM prep is on the dash (ugly as sin) and the dealer tells me that can't be removed.

I was hoping to find a pda/phone adaptor which I could then use for my sat nav, nicely mounted and visible but even tho Paragon list a "VC4 MDA III GPS Cradle" here , it's not clear whether this will work (and besides it's for a clunky O2 XDA 2i which is YEARS old!)