Carbonfibre Vented Bonnet...

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

The weekends here and all we've seen is one tease shot. Cmon! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Sorry Marcus and StooH - I've just got back from Audi Driver International at Castle Combe. Had a great day but didn't take any pics!! Had a really lovely lady with me (singing lady Amanda) who turns out to be into cars and to my complete surprise decided of her own accord to clean parts of my car when we arrived EEK2.GIF. The only pic I took all day was just one of her on track as passenger in an Audi RS4 Avant.

I think Daz took a pic. I'll be at the next Brighton meet on 27th 169144-ok.gif but will take some pics before then!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't take any pics but took a very close look on Saturday morning and can confirm that it looks very nice indeed. Didn't see it with the bonnet down (not surptisingly) notworthy.gif

Can you get CF caps for under the engine bay to replace those blue ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

....At the time you passed by we were sat in the car - It was really funny seeing people come along and peer into the engine bay.

I haven't seen carbon caps but have seen a flat carbon cover for that bottle area. I need to do a search. Deffo needs it now.

Sorry not to get to speak to you.

169144-ok.gif

....Well - She's flying at the moment, especially noticeable in 4th. I'm very aware of the placebo effect and find it difficult to believe that just a carbon bonnet would help performance. What is noticeable is better deeper engine sound (subtle difference) and that even after 200 miles the bonnet surface is very cool to the touch. Engine heat and melting bonnets has never been a problem though! grin.gif

Handling (nose weight factor) is just as good but bear in mind that I usually manage to stay away from the limit and so don't experience understeer.

169144-ok.gif

....I noticed you hadn't been around but thought you'd been away. 169144-ok.gif

It's a very odd feeling but I am very conscious of the featherlight carbon bonnet when driving - My brain tells me the car is lighter but I haven't lost any other weight apart from bigger brakes (surprisingly saving 10Kg) but then compensated by heavier ARB's. A full race stripped out GTI would feel awesome to drive I reckon.

Did they have any trouble attaching the bonnet lock to the carbon fibre? I kinda remember reading on here a while back that there was some issues with thinner or single skin CF?

Still waiting for the full frontal RR! Ooh er. Is it the same shape as the original? Now i'm digging an innuendo hole for myself...

.... EEK2.GIF Believe me when I say you really don't want to see a "full frontal RR"!!!! [Your words, not mine!]

My bonnet is a double skin and very rigid. OSIR have made a point of ensuring that all the standard fittings are used and are solid. My bonnet, also being far lighter, opens and closes much better than stock. My bodyshop took particular care over that.

169144-ok.gif

I've just come home in the rain and noticed when I got out of the car the rain droplets were not evident in the vent duct. Also I could feel heat from the vent but the surrounding bonnet was cold. So the vent most definitely reduces engine bay heat smile.gif169144-ok.gif.

Whether that translates into the turbo giving better performance or not is debateable. I would expect it to definitely contribute in very hot weather or pushing through the twisties.

I like it, although I've decided not to mod my GTI I have to admit that everything you've done to your car is spot on and to my personal taste!

Compliments for not yet going OTT, I think you've got a cracking car there RR! 169144-ok.gif

Have been mega busy at work over the last year, so haven't gone to any meets, but will definitely try and get to one in the future to see your motor!

[ QUOTE ]

....As I understand it, a venturi vent usually stands proud like a cowling on a Subaru, and the nacelle is a cooling vent. So I would say mine is more of a nacelle type of vent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah - that makes sense! Similar to vents on aircraft, so must be the nacelle type.

Either way, it looks good! Bet it looks better in the flesh, too.

For those who have been asking to see a full frontal grin.gif....

ventbonnet.jpg

The friend whose yard this pic is in, has seen and handled a lot of carbon bonnets and he says mine is the best fit and best made he has seen. He didn't quite understand why I painted it though. Double skin and not single skin carbon is the way to go. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

For those who have been asking to see a full frontal grin.gif....

ventbonnet.jpg

The friend whose yard this pic is in, has seen and handled a lot of carbon bonnets and he says mine is the best fit and best made he has seen. He didn't quite understand why I painted it though. Double skin and not single skin carbon is the way to go. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things.

1. Have you lost the centrecap of your front wheel

2. At what point will you consider your car to cease to be a Golf Gti - you've done tonnes of stuff since I last jumped on this forum?!