Polish or paint

MajorH

Major, you may be surprised at how much you can cover with polishing, even when you can feel it with your fingernail. Yes, it's a general rule of thumb that a fingernail catching a scratch means it can't be polished 'out' but you can drastically reduce the visible signs of the scratch. I've just spend the day on a Passat with a huge scratch down the door and rear panel, and although there were deep enough to feel with a fingernail, and I couldn't get rid of them, now, under a normal light source, you can't see them.

[ QUOTE ]

Major, you may be surprised at how much you can cover with polishing, even when you can feel it with your fingernail. Yes, it's a general rule of thumb that a fingernail catching a scratch means it can't be polished 'out' but you can drastically reduce the visible signs of the scratch. I've just spend the day on a Passat with a huge scratch down the door and rear panel, and although there were deep enough to feel with a fingernail, and I couldn't get rid of them, now, under a normal light source, you can't see them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completly, i have polished scratches on cars that have been very very deep. Any they are not gone but you would have to be at the right angle at the right light to notice them and cost me a lot less to sort then paying insurance or straight for a repaint.

Also, cheap repaints are never much good IMHO. They are either orange peel galore (not much clarity) or swirled up by poor buffer monkeys.

Try and contact a local detailer who will give you a quote. I cant see if you wanted to just get one panel buffed and apply your own wax i cant see costing more the say £70?!

Geoff

And how much paint is left on the panel after machining away a scratch that can be felt?

Certainly not enough to survive another machine polish, or at least not if the car's not had paintwork prior. If you want to machine paint till its close to death I just hope you have good insurance, cause you'll soon be needing it.

But then again its only my opinion and 15 years in the paint trade behind me prior to detailing, so what do I know iamwithstupid.gif

I don't disagree with you at all! I would, though, never go down so low as to put it close to death, hence why I said you can't get rid of a deep scratch, more just make it less visible. The Passat I did was a megs cutting pad and IP 3.02. Only two passes were done, and PTG readings were still healthy.

If its going to cost you £500 excess then isnt it worth the risk?

Even if you end up having to go down the paint route afterwards, due to polishing it too far, you have at least tried to save yourself £450!?!

How about going half way and getting the scratch polished to a realistic level and seeing how you feel about it? Weigh up the £500 excess cost along with any other horror stories you may experience whilst the work is being done!?!