ED30 or "Normal" GTI ?

Froggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go for the Edition 30.

More power, cool seats and cooler skirts.... IMO, worth the little extra considering it is almost the same engine as the S3. Should hold its value better as you are buying new.

If your buying second hand (which you said you are not), I'd be very tempted with a standard GTI due to the price you can now pick them up.

I'd get a white one with the European black Monza IIs ;-)

You can't really go wrong with either. Their basically the same beast anyway, except that the ED30 is a bit tuned. The side skirts on the ED30 do look great, but for approx £700 (Edinburgh quotes) the GTI can get the same treatment. I personally prefer the leather of the GTI and IMHO the DSG is the route to go. Whichever route you take, enjoy it, as I'm sure you will 169144-ok.gif

Both are great cars, if you are planning to tune it go down the ed30 route, otherwise stick with the standard gti which feels quicker under normal conditions due to the turbo coming in slightly lower and with no turbo lag. Also, see what you think of the wheels, I'm gutted with the ed30 wheels which look very 'normal' (IMO) compared to the stunning 18" monza's, something my friends and work collegues very much agree on. But going on my 200 mile country road blast yesterday, they are truly epic cars 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

I've just got my Ed30 DSG after a manual standard GTI. The standard GTIdoes feel quicker on initial pick up, but the ED 30 feels a bit more grown up, and I think looks stunning. I like the wheels on the ED30. You wouldn't be disappointed with either. I've driven all sorts over the years, including a TT, but think for value for money and quality of drive, you really can't beat the GTI.

I personally prefer the look of the standard GTI but obviosuly the extra neddies of the Ed 30 would be nice. Not sure if there are many new Ed30's for sale still- perhaps others could better advise. If you do decide to go for the Ed30 then I would consider the optional black Monza II's which are now available. If I was to choose again it would be a very difficult decision to decide upon which model I would go for. I just find the Ed30 looks a little 'aftermarket' in some colours. 169144-ok.gif

I second all Ryan's comments above. I've just got a new ED 30 (manual) after owning a DSG standard GTI.

IMO plus points for the ED30 are :

Extra 30bhp (& exhaust sounds much meatier smirk.gif)

More oooomph at Motorway speeds

Half Leather heated and lumbar adjustable seats are excellent

Smoked Rear Lights as standard

18" Pescara wheels as standard (but looks are subjective!)

Easily remappable to 300bhp

Colour coded sills etc (looks better in some colours but not all)

Resale value should be slightly better than standard.

Plus points for standard GTi are imo :

£2000 'ish cheaper (especially if you want a fairly basic spec)

Monzas better looking than Pescaros ? (subjective)

Monzas much easier to clean ! (I can tell you mad.gif)

Feels a little quicker up to 3000rpm (as Ryan says)

Black Plastic sills look better in certain colors ? (subjective again)

One thing I would say is definitely go for the DSG 169144-ok.gif

PS. There are some very good value import ED30's available at the moment, for immediate delivery.

Also with the ED30 you will probably pay list price or just under, but with a normal GTI you will probably get a decent discount. I got my GTI for the same price as a bog standard ED30 and I had few options added as well for the same price, thats what made my mind upto get the standard GTI.

I always buy the best I can afford, that way I don't look back and think to myself "I could have had that better one, I wish I had".

If you can afford the ED30, go for it. Despite the fact that some people are undecided by it's looks, it could make your life a little more interesting by owning a 'special' version of an already brilliant car. It's value will almost certainly hold up better than a standard GTI of the same age. Special Edition GTI's of the past have proved that fact (Campaign, Anniversary) as they are that little bit more desireable to the enthusiast.

[ QUOTE ]

I always buy the best I can afford, that way I don't look back and think to myself "I could have had that better one, I wish I had".

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree -i know i am a bit biased grin.gif

Its probably not worth the cost of upgrading a standard gti to a 30 edition, but if you are in the market for this car, go the extra mile and get the one you really want.

Not that much difference in cost once specced out -as the 30 ed does have a few extras

happy hunting 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for all the comments - very interesting.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the only disappointing thing about the ed30 is its colour range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to confess the colour range of the ED30 is a bit limiting.(White looks favourite if I go that route). As for price I'm fortunate to get a discount as a supplier, so that isn't really the main issue.

I wonder if they do other colours abroad or is the ED30 a UK market special?

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if they do other colours abroad or is the ED30 a UK market special?

[/ QUOTE ] I already looked into this myself sad to say its a no from everywere i asked frown.gif . Unlike the standard GTI that can be ordered in about 20+ different colours and shades.

For those interested in importing, the following special order colours are available if you make a special order from Germany but Not on the ed30 frown.gif

German name, English name, Order code, option price in Euros

Sonderlackierungen (special laquer finishes)

Blau Blue 9590 290.00 Euro

Blue Spirit Perleffekt Blue spirit pearl effect 9958 660.00 Euro

Dark Violett Perleffekt Dark violet pearl effect 9968 660.00 Euro

Deep Blue Perleffekt Deep blue pearl effect 9955 660.00 Euro

Inky Blue Perleffekt Inky blue pearl effect 9940 660.00 Euro

Lichtblau Light blue 9521 290.00 Euro

Mercato-Blau Metallic Mercato blue metallic 9990 660.00 Euro

Moonlight Blue Perleffekt Moonlight blue metallic 9991 660.00 Euro

Ravennablau Metallic Ravenna blue metallic 9948 660.00 Euro

Silberblau Metallic Silver blue metallic 9974 660.00 Euro

Technoblau Perleffekt Techno blue pearl effect 9094 660.00 Euro

Ultramarinblau Ultramarine blue 9526 290.00 Euro