Just Got Back From APS!!!!!

hoops

Hi chaps - just got back home from APS. First and most important thing - Andy and Ed are THE nicest blokes i think ive ever met in any car related matter - just top guys and i cant recommend them enough. They really did look after me and the R32 and in terms of level of service they are first class. However, i didnt get any doughnuts so there is room for improvement!!!

In terms of the car - i had a resonated cat back Milltek fitted, H&R springs, ECU remap & BMC filter. The exhaust looks fantastic and now properly fills the rear valance perfectly with the 100mm tips - although i do feel its a little too quiet for my liking but im guessing when its coked up a bit it may get a little louder. It has a slightly deeper rumble on tickover and gives a nice roar when you rev closer to the limiter. There is NO in car boom or drone which is nice and is why i didnt go for the non-res version. I found myself putting the window down as i drove through a tunnel and gave it some beans and it did sound lovely!!!! The car now sits just right over the Lambo 19's without looking too boy racerish and without fouling the arches - so im very happy with the H&R springs. I also had a full realignment done and got Andy to put some more negative camber on the rear for me.

However - i need to be honest - and i told Ed & Andy this after i took it for a test drive - im really struggling to notice any measurable gains from the remap. It feels slightly more spritely when i have it in "S" mode (mine is the DSG) in the lower gears but it still feels like it drastically runs out of steam in about 3rd or 4th as you approach the 90mph plus mark and it just doesnt seem right to me. Ed & Andy took my R32 for a drive before the remap and they did a diagnostic and they said everything looks and feels perfectly fine and normal - so its obviously me etc but i do find it a little frustrating when im driving it and wanting to give it some. That said, it does feel better in the lower gears when in "S" mode. But in normal "D" mode it still has that slight hesitation when you go to boot it - and worse still it feels really sluggish if you go to boot it from say 4th or 5th gear and there is still that hesitation/pause before anything happens??? So - overall im pleased with the new looks and sound of the R32 but cant deny im a little disappointed with the remap. Im a realistic guy and didnt expect to feel like i'd stepped into a whole new car but im not sure it feels like money that well spent at this stage re the remap. I also asked the guys if its true that the ECU needs a little time to fully adjust to the remap (say 100miles or so) before you feel the full power etc - but they said that was rubbish - so i dont know - as there was someone on this forum that said that is the case??? Anyway - we shall see. For certain the APS guys said that as its still only got 4,500 miles on the clock that it needs time to loosen up - which i do agree with - so im going to continue hammering it as hard and as often as possible and see if i can wake her up a bit more over the next few thousand miles - but im fairly sure that she will be up for sale around Feb next year still.

All said and done i am very happy with APS and will certainly recommend them to anyone and will be going back to see them in about 1,000 miles time to have another realignment and also to pick up a colour coded rear valance they are getting sprayed for me.

I will of course get some new pics done of the car and try and post them up here for you to see - ideally tomorrow if poss.

Finally - a few people have asked me about the Lambo Gallardo wheels ive put on. Well, if anyone is genuinely interested - i am putting them up for sale as i have my eyes on some BBS's - they are only a few weeks old (have receipt) and spotless with brand new tyres - so anyone interested in buying them let me know and we can work out a cash deal etc.

Have a great Christmas guys!!!

Perhaps, APS are right as to say that the Remap works straight away, but in my case I too didn't feel any difference in the first 100 miles or so. I had the remap done at 20k miles. Perhaps it's one of those unexplainable things, but logic does suggest APS are right to say that the remap should work straight away.

HOOPS, although the remap is instant and will change how the car is fed fuel/air etc, as I'm led to believe the ECU still "learns" and improves on this and it takes time. Also, with only 4,500miles on the clock I imagine the engine is going to be very tight still and needs plenty more miles to loosen up grin.gif

Yep - it would seem that the low milage of my car may be one of the main reasons it still feels a little down on power. I will certainly be putting as many miles on as possible over the next month or so and driving her as hard as possible and we will see what happens.

One thing that may have caused a little hitch in proceedings was the fact that yesterday morning as i was leaving home for APS, all the petrol stations around my way had no super unleaded, so i had no choice but to put normal unleaded in - and i also had to do that a week or so ago also - so i wonder whether that has any noticable effect?? I always put super in, normally v-max, but sometimes i cant find super and have to put the odd tank of unleaded in. Just a thought.

Thanks Matt - i did think that may have some effect.

Just one other thing - some people have said that the remap can improve fuel economy - but at the moment it looks like my economy is worse!!! Obviously ive been hammering it since having the mods done - but i only got 200 miles to the last tank!! Or is the better fuel economy only on long steady runs???

Ed did mention to me that the fuel economy may improve. To start with my MPG was also down, but has improved on what it was, and compared to before I had the remap it's about the same.

I think that having the Millteks fitted had something to do with it as I was leaving it later before gear changes in order to hear the exhaust note grin.gif

Yeh - i imagine it probably helps as the fuel mix should now be better - but my right foot cant be helping matters!

I have to say i am slightly regretting not pushing Ed & Andy for the non-res milltek as in my opinion there is little noise change from stock. Im hoping it will get louder as it cokes up but god knows how long that may take???

Just another excuse to go a long drive then ECLIPSe.gif

Having heard both res and non-res from inside the car, I would say that there is a big difference in sound, and if you wanted an exhaust where you can only hear it from outside or with the windows down then you made the right decision. The non-res is a lot louder and may annoy some people as there is quite a lot of noise inside the car... but I love hearing it... who needs a stereo grin.gif

The thing is the exhausts sound a lot different between the MK4 and MK5 - you have the MK4 Matt i assume from your signature and ive heard that not only did the remaps work better with the old model but the exhaust notes were deeper and richer also with the Millteks. I have to say that if the only difference between res and non-res is the in-car noise then im happy i went for the res version as i hate in-car boom/drone, esp on longer journeys. I had a GruppeM fitted to my E46 M3 and although it sounded truly awsome outside, it was almost unbearable inside the car and i wouldnt want to go back to that.

I keep meaning to take some pics of my car to show the mods etc but it is SO filthy dirty and i cant be bothered to wash it in this weather at the moment - although i always keep my alloys cleaned!! That said she does look pretty cool all dirty, especially up the back, you cant even read my plate which is not a bad thing with all the bloody rozzers around at the moment!