RNS MFD2 Problem

I have a retro fit RNS2 in my golf V and hope that you guys can help with an issue that I am having. I did have a DVD player attached via an Dietz adaptor to allow the display on screen.

I have since removed the DVD player and adaptor as these were causing problems due to a fault somewhere.

I now have the issue that the unit works fine but a couple of odd problems now occur. The screen itself now seems to constantly adjust its own brightness all of the time and none of the lights on the buttons around the screen work (although the screen does light up). The lights no longer turn on when the headlights are switched on. The display also no longer switches between day and night colours when the headlights are on (it is set to auto in the settings to do this)

I also think that the clock on the MFD2 now works independently from the DIS but not sure if this is supposed to be the case - and also it seems that the unit will not turn off automatically when the key is removed from the ignition.

I think that although these sound like multiple issues, it may all be down to one fault? confused.gif

Any ideas what may be the problem in terms of loose wires etc?!?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers, Ben

Thanks Craig - if anyone has any further advice as to how to try and resolve this that would be greatly appreciated - could it just be a case that one of the wires has become disconnected to one of the pins at the rear of the unit?

Cheers,

Ben.

[ QUOTE ]

could it just be a case that one of the wires has become disconnected to one of the pins at the rear of the unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or got disturbed when you removed the DVD player and adapter?

Did the CAN wires pass through the adapter (to provide a crude form of video-in-motion by interrupting the speed signal?), and if so have you joined the CAN in and CAN out wires that used to go through the adapter?

Hi Dave- it did go through a secondary adaptor to allow picture in motion so you many be onto something there - I will have to check but I think that there were thin brownish(?) wires that had been intercepted to do this - maybe wrong though as just saying that from memory (does that sound like the can wires?) so I may have missed rejoining this up. Does anyone know which pins the can wires are so that I can double check that I am looking at the right connections (sorry but no expert in this area) Are the can in and out wires different colours so I know that I am joining the correct ones together and not joining an in to an out etc (if that makes sense) confused.gif

On a separate note I removed the DVD setup as I was constantly getting a flat battery after a couple of days of not using the car so suspected that this may be the cause - so whilst I have the dash apart again to check the Can wire is there anything else that I should check to investigate the battery drain?

Thanks again!

Ben.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Dave- it did go through a secondary adaptor to allow picture in motion so you many be onto something there - I will have to check but I think that there were thin brownish(?) wires that had been intercepted to do this - maybe wrong though as just saying that from memory (does that sound like the can wires?) so I may have missed rejoining this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like they may be the CAN wires.

I never go by wire colours, they often change!

• 3 weeks later...