Starting fishing (yes, it is a sport !) again.

Big_Al

I am going to start fishing again this year, when it warms up and stops raining as I'm a solar powered angler. My son is now 10, keen to go, and I would like to introduce him to it and all that it brings (nature, fresh air, relaxation..........)and keep him away from the TV and Xbox(please ignore my avatar and sig. tongue.gif).

I am not much of a river person, stillwaters are my thing targeting Tench and Bream. Going to start going for Carp while I teach him to float fish for the smaller species.

Any fishermen on here know of good places around Wiltshire for youngsters. Would like a quiet lake to teach him on with no pressure from other anglers.

Any help or advice very welcome.

Thanks beerchug.gif

Alan.

Sorry Big Al dont know Wiltshire, but i have been a serious fisherman since the age of 12/13 (now nearly 26). Started off on rivers then moved to Lakes. Carp angling took over my life for about 6 years and i spent many a cold night seeking out my pray.

I then started fishing in France once a year and yesterday just booked my latest trip there for May this year.

You are correct in looking to find a good place the your lad, if he catches a few he will be hooked (sorry) but if you blank he could be turned off for life. I got to the point that i could go 4 days and 4 nights just to claim a single fish and that was fine for me but you want fast and furious.

And yes fishing is a sport. A sport is something you compete against others in and there are lots of fishing matches with prize money of tens of thousands.

[ QUOTE ]

I am going to start fishing again this year, when it warms up and stops raining as I'm a solar powered angler. My son is now 10, keen to go, and I would like to introduce him to it and all that it brings (nature, fresh air, relaxation..........)and keep him away from the TV and Xbox(please ignore my avatar and sig. tongue.gif).

I am not much of a river person, stillwaters are my thing targeting Tench and Bream. Going to start going for Carp while I teach him to float fish for the smaller species.

Any fishermen on here know of good places around Wiltshire for youngsters. Would like a quiet lake to teach him on with no pressure from other anglers.

Any help or advice very welcome.

Thanks beerchug.gif

Alan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan,

A friend and I fish at Claydon Park near Lechlade ( http://www.thecotswoldgateway.co.uk/claydon-park-fishery-angling.htm ) - 10 mins drive from Swindon and it is great - not many people there etc and friendly owner. Where abouts in Wilts you looking at? I'll ask my friend who lives in Chippenham to suggest somewhere maybe more local.

I wouldn't dismiss the rivers either - We regularly fish the Avon in Chippenham and pull out big barbel/chub/bream (floodwater permitting!)

I'm in Chippenham now, all my fishing has been around the Reading area before I moved.

I have been told that Tockenham Reservoir is a good place to get youngsters started. Also Longleat and Shearwater lakes have been recommended.

Anymore suggestions 169144-ok.gif

beerchug.gifAlan

I like sea fishing and often go out on a boat when visiting the in-laws in Dorset. It's also great casting out from Chesil beach in the summer and bringing in some Mackerel for tea!

I can appreciate the "sport" of coarse fishing, cos it's great chilling out by the water and challenging bringing in a crafty fish, but I don't like the fact you can't eat what you catch when you get it from a river or lake. Unless of course you are lucky enough to catch salmon or trout where you can keep it. I also don't like all that baiting up of fishing lakes to catch that elusive carp, whic has grow fat on eating spam and dogmeat.

It's funny that the Poles are nicking all these prize specimens from fisheris and having them for Xmas lunch. They must think we're mad putting them back again!

Ive never fished Longleat and Shearwater but a friend of mine has and really rates them.

Fairly well stocked so should keep your son interested.

I fish mainly bigger pits now down ringwood way and a lake round the Steeple Langford area out on the A36. You can fish the lake for £25 a year and as a bonus its a nature reserve and there is always something interesting to look at. This isnt as well stocked but for £25 a year is really good value.

Fished New forest water park last year but gave it a miss this year due to the expense ( nearly £400 ) Just fish a few lakes Salisbury way now.

Did fish ringwood alot, Is Hightown the one that RDAC have? Fished that alot a few years ago but couldnt really make the time to fish it.

Mate fished Hucklesbrook ( on a CAC ticket ) alot and I would visit him whilst fishing and I must say its a lovely looking place with some lovely commons in it.

Yep Hightown is RDAC and is a water that needs plenty of your time. Used to be a member of CAC and fished Hucklesbrook a bit. Used to catch a bus (we were 15) from Bournemouth to Hucklesbrook with 2 mates and enough gear to last 2/3 days and nights. Back then it was a tench lake with the odd carp coming out, it was also a 24h lake for the members so no need to buy a night ticket.

Was a member of Christchurch for 9 years on and off, and Ringwood for a couple here and there. The cost seems to go up yearly but the fishing gets worse. Christchurch have Golden Springs a big complex with about 12 lakes and some nice fish if you know which lake to fish. The complex has just been bought and will not be open for fishing next season, so CAC have lost 12 lakes but the cost of membership will rise as always. Now i save the money and go to France which is like carp fishing in the 90's without everyman and his dog turning up making noise and spoiling your time. Role on May 3rd and the giant mirrors waiting for me.