Buing a focus - anything I need to know?

drpellypo

[ QUOTE ]

Focus! Oh dear. Can't you talk her into anything else?

Good luck Mr (or Mrs P).

However, I don't think there is much to go wrong with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, what would you suggest for £1,500 - £2,500 ?

The Focus is streets ahead of the Astra, anything Japanese at that price would be reliable but horrible, and anything German at that price would just be horrible. grin.gif

Haven't looked at prices drpellypo, but I'd say a petrol Zetec would be top choice.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck Mr (or Mrs P).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Focus is streets ahead of the Astra, anything Japanese at that price would be reliable but horrible, and anything German at that price would just be horrible. grin.gif

Haven't looked at prices drpellypo, but I'd say a petrol Zetec would be top choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

They worst thing about that bracket of cars is that Japanese tend to take a lot longer (in time/yrs) to fall to the lower price bracket. But the certantly the Civic that was around in 2002 onwards was great. I had the SE Executive many miles in a short period of time. Lots of features, no problems.

But for less then £3k you really will be in trouble with alot of cars that size. Simply, its been the most popular size/group of cars for the last 6-7 yrs.

Miles kill cars like the Focus as they just not built for the long haul. Personally, if i was you i would sacrifice the engine size and features for something with low milage.

Geoff

[ QUOTE ]

MrsP wants a focus. I've not bought a second hand car for years, so I'm somewhat out of the loop! She's budgeted about 1.5k - 2.5k Anything I need to look out for/is there a best model? There's loads

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mechanically they are pretty solid but.......they are common mot failures with rust. Check lower doors and sills which are still a massive problem on current fords.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck Mr (or Mrs P).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. I'm still thinking!