[Audi A3/S3] 2.0t or 3.2?

Hudster

I have been hunting for a 2.0T sportback sline for some time now, and today found the exact car I wanted (price, mileage, spec, extras, colour) except it's a 3.2 litre.

It's 3 insurance groups higher, and looks like the MPG will be about 5/6 worse than a 2.0T, so my cost of ownership is higher than I'd planned.

Is it worth it?? Or shall I turn the page and keep searching for the 2 litre?

It's quite far away so would involve a whole day to go there and test drive.

Keep looking and find a 2.0T, great car I had one exactly that spec for a year before changing it for the Cab I've got now. The 3.2 sounds great but thats about the only thing its got going for it. Dont forget its a band G as well if its newer than March 2006... The 3.2 is a heavy old lump and spoils the handling compared to the 2.0T in my experience (test drove both back to back when I was looking). Quick remap and the 2.0T will put out the same power.

Cupramax - why did you change to the 3.2 (in your sig) from the 2.0t?

The model I have found is over £1k under the Glass & Parkers price, and still with plenty of Audi warranty left. I am just concerned I will never find a 2.0T with the same spec for such an affortable price. Is this a result of the petrol hike, or are they just not in such demand?

It came along at the right price at the right time and I think the 3.2 suits the A4 Cab much better than it does the A3, plus dont forget that the 3.2 in the A4 Cab is a different engine entirely from the one in the A3. Also I wanted Quattro and they dont do a 2.0TQ Cab or thats what I would have... 169144-ok.gif

Yep, 20T and remap it. The 20T responds fantastic to a remap, Huge hike in torque and real giant slaying ability, amazing in high gears on the M way. Ive got REVO Stage 1 on my Golf MK5 20T and thoroughly recommend it.

Ok, V6s sounds nice but IMO Turbo power is very addictive.

Good luck

Cheers

Paul wink.gif

I would also go with the 2.0T considering the fuel consumpution is better. My 3.2 is a great car and my main reason for getting it was that I could have quattro and DSG together. Unfortunately the 2.0T was not out when I bought mine and I think I would have bought that over the 3.2 considering that it would be just as much fun to drive.

The 3.2 is a great engine in my TT but in the A3 they are not popular and dealers try to avoid them. It probably needs to be £2-3k behind book. Try phoning up another Audi dealer to sell it. If its more than £3k under the asking price them its overpriced.

[ QUOTE ]

The 3.2 is a great engine in my TT but in the A3 they are not popular and dealers try to avoid them. It probably needs to be £2-3k behind book. Try phoning up another Audi dealer to sell it. If its more than £3k under the asking price them its overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought book price was meant to be based on the current market values? I got a glass quote and it came out at £17300 (parkers said well over £18k...) for a 2006 with 20k miles. That's now lower than a 2.0T with the same spec.

• 1 month later...

I looked at both and eventually decided on the 3.2. The 2.0T can be re -mapped for a lot more power and does handle better coz of the lighter engine. But the 3.2 sounds glorious and I just prefer big, torquey engines. You hardly need to touch the pedal when driving normally and the low down grunt of a big V is intoxicating. I lowered mine 30mm on Eibach springs and it helped the understeer a lot and with a re-map you will get loads of extra mid-range torque.

Go for the 3.2!!!

I went for the 2.0T in the end. Agree that the 3.2 makes a nicer grunt but I fear it will depreciate quicker with these looming petrol prices, I also prefer the feel of a turbo and can re-map up to over 250BHP if needed.

I am looking at a Milltek as the first mod, which will give it some that wonderful sound back +++

I am looking at a Milltek as the first mod, which will give it some that wonderful sound back +++

An in-line 4 cylinder engine has a large residual second order force which sets up resonances in the actual body shell - and will always make it sound boomy and rough compared to a V6. No exhaust can overcome that.

An in-line 4 cylinder engine has a large residual second order force which sets up resonances in the actual body shell - and will always make it sound boomy and rough compared to a V6. No exhaust can overcome that.

That every chav Ax/Nova/Corsa/Fester lad will know about, and we hear all the time when they 'boom' past!