Insurance / repair advice

Scotty

This relates to my motorbike but I'm sure it's the same with cars ....

When you have a vehicle repaired after an incident where it's not your fault, who has ownership of the old parts?

The new parts are being paid for my the other guys insurance and are basically cosmetic. I'd like to get the old parts in case in future I can use them and it could save me money or making a claim.

The repairers said they won't give them to me as the parts belong to the insurers. I called the insurers and they said they don't take them and it's totally down to the repairers.

My mind is telling me that the repairers see value in them and don't want to hand them over. I can imagine I'll see them on ebay in the near future.

My thought is that the damaged items are mine i.e. they formed part of the bike that I own and just because they've been removed they should still belong to me.

The news parts are not being paid for by my insurer so they can't even use the line about offsetting their own costs.

Your thoughts please ?

When I had my Sierra written of in a rear end shunt by white van man, the loss adjuster came to my house looked at the car, we agreed a price and left the car with me. He said the cars mine and just because the other guy's insurance are paying cash for it that it they have not bought it. I was just being compensated for it's loss. The car was a Cat C. In the end I got his insurers to pay for it's removal, but they were happy for me to keep it. I wanted to part it out. My wife wanted me to stop beings so bloody stupid! crazy.gif

Mike

If they're just cosmetic, what's to stop you removing them before the bike goes in for repair. Tell the repairers that you'll return them to the insurance company should they request them. wink.gif

At the end of the day the repairers are getting paid for fitting new parts, plus whatever markup they have on them, plus they don't have to spend time removing the old ones so more money made in saved labor costs.

Might work. They certainly won't kick up a fuss if you tell them that you'll take the bike elsewhere for repair. buttcheeks.gif

Andy