BMW 116i Courtesy car

edo

First let me say it was never going to be fair jumping from a 580NM/286bhp 335d!

Christ this thing is gutless! To be fair, after 200 miles I had got the hang of having to rev a car again, but even so - during my normal 100 mile round trip commute, driving gently, I couldnt get over 37mpg - so worse than the 35d.

In other respects this is a very nice car. Very wellput together (it is a 2007/8 57), and I think it is an SE, but it has sports seats, climate, front and rear parking, 17" alloys, auto lights, wipers and so on. Handling is great, steering is good, and quality of all the materials seems very good.

It just needs about 50 more horses! I've driven a 120d and that was a cracker, so I guess 120d/123d/130i/135i are the ones to go with. At apush the 118d, but certainly not the 116i - it wont even save you on fuel!

They are gutless, but then someone who buys teh 116i is not after power, I bet most of them are wifes cars, the husband can't be bothered to go anywhere other than his local BMW dealer and that is the cheapest car they offer, so they get the 116i.

My old man was going to buy my mum one, I made him get the 118d instead, now that is a great little car. 140bhp and 60mpg.

[ QUOTE ]

I just looked up the price - nearly 19k list! Madness

[/ QUOTE ]

But then you get other people who think paying £2k more for a 120d is madness, or paying £5k more for a 335d over a 318d is madness, there are some weird peoplen about!! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Christ this thing is gutless! To be fair, after 200 miles I had got the hang of having to rev a car again, but even so - during my normal 100 mile round trip commute, driving gently, I couldnt get over 37mpg - so worse than the 35d

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same as I got from a new 1.6 fekkus loaner. Gutless and a damn noisey engine!

That would be an awesome car.

The 118d is fine for most people though, the Audi 2.0tdi is VW/Audis best seller and that is not as quick in A3 or Golf guise.

The 120d when tuned is very nice, 210bhp in pre facelift and 225bhp in post facelift guise, with 450nm and 45mpg.