Used car selling - juggling buyers

mark88

I'm currently selling my sisters car for her. Person A rings first, lives miles away but likes the car. Arranges RAC to check the car later in the week.

Now, person B rings and wants to come view the car on Sunday.

I'm now got an email from person C who also wants to view the car.

Am I obliged to anyone? The first person to call has paid the RAC to come do a check, so is serious. But in the meantime just what am I supposed to tell people who call? Does person A get first refusal?

One part of me wants to sell the car to ANYONE for the highest price possible. Another part wants to offer person A first refusal but by doing this I'm risking missing out on other potential buyers.

What's the score?

Tell person A that others are coming to view the car. If he wants it then he gets there first. It's your car and as long as you're open with all buyers as to what's going on then you can sell to whoever you want. 169144-ok.gif

Unlike the fecker in Swindon who sold the car I'd arranged to view and buy before I got chance to go down and visit him. He's still not called me to tell me it's sold.

I would be tempted to put preference in for the person who arranged the rac test, spending money should mean they are serious? By all means show the car to the other people but tell them you have someone else looking.

Although in saying that if someone turned up with the right cash ready to go I would be kind of tempted just to sell it?

Be open to everyone. Tell the newcomers that an RAC inspection is being arranged by someone else. Tell the first guy that others are coming.

Unless you have taken a deposit, you have no duty to keep the car for anyone. Equally, they have no duty to you and can walk off at any time. You would (IMHO) only be open to criticism if you lied to or misled anyone.

Do you know the result of his RAC check?

I mean has he rang and said "yeah that's all great I'll have it"?

TBH,even if he has,so many people mess about with car buying that if it were me,first to arrive and offer pound notes would buy it.

[ QUOTE ]

if it were me,first to arrive and offer pound notes would buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif What degree of certainty has this guy offered you? Simple answer - none. So how much do you give him? As much as he has given you.

[ QUOTE ]

TBH,even if he has,so many people mess about with car buying that if it were me,first to arrive and offer pound notes would buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's paid for an RAC guy to come round an check the car. Not just a HPI check. HPI check was fine.

RAC guy is coming Thursday. The problem is we need to sell the car by the weekend.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's paid for an RAC guy to come round an check the car. Not just a HPI check. HPI check was fine.

RAC guy is coming Thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 potential buyers? You've priced it to low!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RAC guy is coming Thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 potential buyers? You've priced it to low!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Been for sale about 10 days. Dropped it in price £900 or so already. Lots of calls from dealers, all of them say the used market for mini's is pretty dead at the moment. I'm inclined to agree.

Only now are we starting to get calls and the car is seriously cheap.

[ QUOTE ]

Lots of calls from dealers, all of them say the used market for mini's is pretty dead at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

All saying the market for used Mini's is dead, BUT they will do you a favour and buy it anyway (at a low price)?

Then sell it on for £2K more in this dead market.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Lots of calls from dealers, all of them say the used market for mini's is pretty dead at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

All saying the market for used Mini's is dead, BUT they will do you a favour and buy it anyway (at a low price)?

Then sell it on for £2K more in this dead market.

[/ QUOTE ]

They weren't doing me any favours, neither did any of them say they were. It is possible to have a genuine conversation with a buyer without sales BS. They were all pretty upfront.

[ QUOTE ]

RAC guy is coming Thursday. The problem is we need to sell the car by the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah I see,the RAC check hasn't even taken place yet.

Well forget any loyalty to him,the check is bound to throw up faults,however minor they are.The guy might not want it after anyway,you know how some people get put off by a split wiper blade rubber and the fact that it might need a couple of tyres this side of Christmas. crazy.gif

Let 'em all come and view,you never know,there might be a nice bidding war outside your house which can only be good for your bank balance. 169144-ok.gif