My wife's kerbed my alloy badly - advice please!

daveknott

Right, - well unfortunately, my wife's had a minor mishap and has kerbed the front offside alloy quite badly whilst parking my 130i M-Sport. The alloys are the 18" M-Sport alloys and I wondered what people's advice is here? How much is a refurb likely to cost? (and can anyone recommend anyone good in the middlesex area?) - or should I bite the bullet and pay for a whole new alloy?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers, Dave

[ QUOTE ]

Right, - well unfortunately, my wife's had a minor mishap and has kerbed the front offside alloy quite badly whilst parking my 130i M-Sport. The alloys are the 18" M-Sport alloys and I wondered what people's advice is here?

Cheers, Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Divorce is the usual recommendation.

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Maybe some kind of remedial driver training? grin.gif

Seriously ... first some ::[sympathy]::

Then, most main dealer refurbs will cost about £80 per corner. It can be done for quite a bit less, unsurprisingly. Unless she's really managed to gouge serious metal out, a refurb should be fine. My 911 has two refurbed wheels after (ahem) a driver managed to bash them.

Why not drop into a BMW dealer and ask for a refurb price. If a refurb is out of the question, they should say so. At least you know they're not biassed, as they'll try and sell you a wheel instead grin.gif. So then you'll know if it can be refurbed and can shop around.

If they are sprayed, a proper repair will strip off all the coating with acid and completely recover so they should last pretty well. Cowboys dont take the rubber back and just spray over the existing coating, then you get problems with the paint flaking off, reacting with the previous layers etc......

The problem is matching existing wheels. You normally have to do both wheels on one side to get a perfect match.

Other issue is polished alloy wheels, No option but to grind down so you get a fine line all the way round the wheel.

It very much depends how bad the damage is...

The problem is matching existing wheels. You normally have to do both wheels on one side to get a perfect match.

I didn't find that a problem - I did the two rear wheels of the 911 last year and both sides are a perfect match.

(Maybe I was lucky?)

I had 4 rims tarted up by a local company that does the work next to the car,last year, but they were unable to repair the damaged inner rim. Lepsons did a fantastic job, the only problem being that they could spray my wheels any colour I liked (esp the standard BMW colour) but could not match the other firms colour. They do 'Mail Order' sho you could send the wheel via Parcel force. HTH

K1 CERB

Lepsons have a good reputation

http://www.lepsons.com/wheels.html

I think Montys are an agent in your area

http://www.montyswheelsandtyres.com/default.asp

Monty's used to use Spit&Polish.

I was not overimpressed with the polished 10 spokes from her B5 T Sport about two years ago.... need doing again , and that was after choosing non polished because they couldn't garantee the finish if not totally painted.

Nothing wrong with Monty's though , known Paul for over 13 years and always had first class tyre service from him.

• 2 months later...