ipod

Maxyboy

i've connected the ipod to the aux bit in my centre arm rest, and i have a male connection for the aux part and a proper ipod charging type head at bottom of ipod,ie not the normal male to male, but is it normal that,

1) the ipod does not seem to charge itself

2) you have to physically turn ipod off everytime you leave car, or it will keep playing

3) you cannot control ipod via head unit

thanks people.

There is a setting in the music adjustment menu that lets you increase the input volume [is on my E92]. Stick the iPod on full volume too and it's plenty loud enough.

I charge mine ok with a cig adapter to dock cable.

Is a shame u can't control via steering wheel. But thats what the extra £ usb version does, kinda wish i'd opted for that.

i've connected the ipod to the aux bit in my centre arm rest, and i have a male connection for the aux part and a proper ipod charging type head at bottom of ipod,ie not the normal male to male, but is it normal that,

1) the ipod does not seem to charge itself

2) you have to physically turn ipod off everytime you leave car, or it will keep playing

3) you cannot control ipod via head unit

thanks people.

As I'm considering my options for a new BMW, I'm interested what options there are for connecting my iPod, and this is what I understand:

1) If you only have an Aux connection, charging is not possible. It is simply a 3.5mm input jack, and so there will be no voltage output to enable charging.

2) There is no way for a 3.5mm Aux input to tell an iPod that it should switch off, so you have to switch it off yourself.

3) Again, a 3.5mm input jack does not have the ability to carry any sort of software interface signal to enable transmission to the head unit of iPod song info etc.

All of the above would require the USB interface available on the BMW options list.

As I said, this is what I understand, so I may not be 100% correct. I'm sure someone will let me know if any of what I've said is wrong.

As I'm considering my options for a new BMW, I'm interested what options there are for connecting my iPod, and this is what I understand:

1) If you only have an Aux connection, charging is not possible. It is simply a 3.5mm input jack, and so there will be no voltage output to enable charging.

2) There is no way for a 3.5mm Aux input to tell an iPod that it should switch off, so you have to switch it off yourself.

3) Again, a 3.5mm input jack does not have the ability to carry any sort of software interface signal to enable transmission to the head unit of iPod song info etc.

All of the above would require the USB interface available on the BMW options list.

As I said, this is what I understand, so I may not be 100% correct. I'm sure someone will let me know if any of what I've said is wrong.

ye what you've said seems to make sense.

do you know if its posssible for the dealer to retro fit the usb connection?

If you have the option definitley go for the USB/ipod option, I think its called 6FL or similar - the ipod turns on, turns off, charges as you'd expect. You cant change the volume on the ipod as it recognises its attached to an offical ipod accessory (your BMW! lol)

Do make sure the car has the latest software update as mine kept flicking back to radio when listening to the ipod until the update was done by the dealer. The update also sorts out so you don't have to twizzle the iDrive knob 200 times to get to albums that begin with the letter 'M' - it realises you twizzle it fast and drops through the alphabet faster +++

• 2 weeks later...

Does the software update help cars without iDrive? I use a USB stick and connectoin and find that to get to artists half way through the alphabet takes ages while turning the knob hundreds of times.

I only picked mine up on Friday so surely the dealer/factory would of updated it anyway, how can you tell?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy a Belkin charger, you can charge the ipod, take the signal from line level instead of amplified headphone out which is much cleaner, and it turns off the ipod when you shut the car down.

Still can't browse tracks on the head unit though.

If you buy a Belkin charger, you can charge the ipod, take the signal from line level instead of amplified headphone out which is much cleaner, and it turns off the ipod when you shut the car down.

Still can't browse tracks on the head unit though.

where do you find these, i've just ebay'd it and only came across fm transmitters.+++