Average Speed Camera Question

poobarr

Hello chaps

A few questions on these things that have shot up round our way.

Does anyone know anyone who has ever got a ticket from temporary average speed cameras?

Do they work if you change lanes?

Do they work at night?

Answers on a postcard to....

Cheers

I tend to travel up and own the M1 quite late at night.

When I get to the av speed cameras near Luton, I'm straight on the cruise control at a sniff under 50. What's weird, is about 30-40% of the traffic continues at about 60-70mph, some faster.

I can't believe that volume of traffic would continue to speed if they were 'active'???

Am I missing something, or are these camera's out of use, if workers aren't on site????

It's intrigued me for ages.....

Anyone??

Jamie, on the A2 up near Gravesend in Kent there are specs cameras which have been installed for a couple of years now and i stick on cruise at 52/53 mph shown on Tom Tom where my speedo shows 57/8 mph yet loads of cars and vans still go past me and some are travelling quite quick and i do wonder what the trigger speed is(but i an not going to try and find out:grin:)

Jamie, on the A2 up near Gravesend in Kent there are specs cameras which have been installed for a couple of years now and i stick on cruise at 52/53 mph shown on Tom Tom where my speedo shows 57/8 mph yet loads of cars and vans still go past me and some are traveling quite quick and i do wonder what the trigger speed is(but i an not going to try and find out:grin:)

Agreed, the number of Muppets that speed past me is unbelievable .... I have evn seen people break heavily for the SPECs camera and speed up ..... derrrrrrr average speed ....

I might phone Kent Safety Partnership and ask how many muppets they have prosecuted ..

Hello chaps

A few questions on these things that have shot up round our way.

Does anyone know anyone who has ever got a ticket from temporary average speed cameras?

Do they work if you change lanes?

Do they work at night?

Answers on a postcard to....

Cheers

On an aside note, is it possible you can do something with the size of your avatar please!

I have wondered about this too!

I must admit I have come through the roadworks late at night on many occasions and have never been sent anything in the post afterwards.

One of my thoughts is that if you come up to the camera and then nip behind a lorry - then head up to the next and agin hide behind a lorry the cameras wont pick you up.

I also note that if you come onto the carriageway at say J9 (heading north) there is a camera within a mile and again if I'm monitored by that but not the next 2, but at the 3rd I am - how does it work it out?

As soon as I hit the section I reset my avg speed in the trip computer so that I can see what I've done.

I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket through the M1, some of the cameras infra red seem very dull which makes me wonder if they work at all at night anyway?

Tone

Don't be fooled by where you think these cameras are pointing. They are focused much further down the road than you realise.

IR doesn't need to be bright to the human eye. They work very well for cameras that can see the reflection of IR off the plates. And I know many people with fines from the M1 systems.

They do work sadly.