Audio upgrade in E60 535d

Biscuits

Finally got my Logic 7 tweeters installed today and they definitely make a difference. Also managed to get the amp connected directly to the battery and moved the amp into the spare tyre compartment.

I now noticed that I do not get the alternator noise coming through the speakers, also used to get mobile phone feedback coming through the speakers as well. Not heard that since either.

I noticed before and after the tweeter install that the mids in the door were ripping when the volume is turned up, anyone else notice this? Anyway I can reduce this?

How did you get the MP3 player to display on the dash display?

Did you see this on the picture I posted? If so I have installed the Dension 500 GW. Allows you to connect an IPOD or USB Key/HDD and control it from the cars head unit/steering wheel controls.

I noticed before and after the tweeter install that the mids in the door were ripping when the volume is turned up, anyone else notice this? Anyway I can reduce this?

That doesn't sound right. Did you look at them when you had the door card off?? Are they OK??

Have you set the crossover to around 125hz for the mids and subs??

Gizze, I'm impressed at your continued knowledge on all things car audio - and that you're not bored of answering questions on E60 and E90 installs!

I went for the THA555, SWS8s, TopHiFi/Logic7 tweeters and mids on my E60, and it's not half bad.

Just one question - when I connect an iPod to the direct input on the THA555, I get no bass whatsoever - super tinny. Blaupunkt have chosen to ignore my numerous emails and letters sent on the subject, and I've found no evidence of anyone having actually used these inputs successfully. Have I missed something?

Also, and this is a question to everyone who's used the TopHiFi mids - are you finding they distort at moderate volumes - like they are clashing with the grill (there was sod all clearance). Should the TopHiFi/Logic7 mids be used with a different grill?

Sound is stunning. I absolutely recommend this set. Ordered mine from hifitalo.fi, 299e delivered. I dont know if they ship aboard. Check yor LocalTalk resellers from morels site.

Thanks,

It should not be a problem - I'm located in copenhagen, Denmark (EU)

I'll Try the hitifalo.fi

How would you describe your satisfaction with your system now - e.g. could it be improved by inserting an equalizer.(In my system, I need to tone down the high of the mid and the low of the tweeter.

I need my system to act more sophisticated in details - specially the tweeters are saying way to much. they go to far down in frequency!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks,

It should not be a problem - I'm located in copenhagen, Denmark (EU)

I'll Try the hitifalo.fi

How would you describe your satisfaction with your system now - e.g. could it be improved by inserting an equalizer.(In my system, I need to tone down the high of the mid and the low of the tweeter.

I need my system to act more sophisticated in details - specially the tweeters are saying way to much. they go to far down in frequency!

Pages are Finnish only I think. Try info at hifitalo.fi by email. I'm sure they will ship abroad.

I think that this set is very well balanced. But if you want, you can adjust tweeter level from crossover box.

I'm still finetuning the bass crossover. That set goes to 50hz by spec, but I think its maybe something like 100hz. So I think I'm setting those underseat subs to crossover at 100hz, and then crossover with big sub at 50hz.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got that amp (THA555) attached to the roof of the boot. I was hoping that re-positioning the amp, and shortening all the wires would take the radio interference away, but no.. (Also changed the ground cable position to the drivers side of the car.)

I saw one chart about d-class amplifiers, and it shows that lower the station frequency is (mhz), more noise antenna picks up from the amp. Its easy to hear, when someone is speaking. Put your ear close to tweeter and you hear it easily. During music its not that bad.

I think that possible cures could be

- Re-positioning the amp

- Changing cable routes..

- Adding ferrites to all wires, near amp

I think that re-positioning would be the best, but in my case I have to put it to roof as there is no space elswhere. Roof might be the worst place, because its close to antenna in back-window. Like 20-30cm away from it..

I'll test the ferrites next. (Going to brake couple leftover usb cables to get that ferrite bit out...)

Any other ideas, anyone?

Ferrites did nothing.

I took my sub-amp off (Focal Solid 1), and replaced it with THA555. Its almost opposite position to that roof-mount position (spare tire place). Still the same high pitch noise on radio. No change at all! (All other sources cd/dvd/etc are ok)

It seems that the interference is so strong, that everywhere I move it in boot, still get noise.

What can I do? Is there some material which would block that interference... Should I return it and get some other amp?

I think I would call it a day and try something else.

Vibe do a range of Class GH amps, called the Litebox's, these are extremely good quality, small and will do a good job.

I would get the 4 channel, drive the mids and tweets with 2 channels and the subs with the other two channels.

Then with the Blaupunikt harness just loop the rear channels together so the head unit is driving these.

I think I would call it a day and try something else.

Vibe do a range of Class GH amps, called the Litebox's, these are extremely good quality, small and will do a good job.

I would get the 4 channel, drive the mids and tweets with 2 channels and the subs with the other two channels.

Then with the Blaupunikt harness just loop the rear channels together so the head unit is driving these.

Yesterday I tried to cover the roof with foil, and moved amp around. I noticed that it really helped, but just a bit. Interference is there, its maybe a slighly milder - maybe. At least when I moved the foil, keeping amp in one place I did notice change in reception.

I think you're right. I have used my all options now.. Time to move on .. :(

Anyone in a need for THA555?

• 3 weeks later...

Got my THA555 sold and bought an Audison SRX5.1.

Also got rid of that separate sub-amp (Focal Solid 1) to make a place for this. (Everything fits now in spare tire place) I was bit suspicious if that 185w power is enough for that 12" kenwood sub. And if that 55w is enough for each underseat sub. Rear channels are driven by head unit.

Results were awesome. A lot was because of that bandpass feature of amp. I did under 50hz to 12" sub, 50-125hz band to underseat subs, and rest to front from 125hz.

Output is very balanced and when listening that track6 (log sweep) of bink test cd, you cant really notice when the sound crosses over to another speaker.

And the most important thing, no radio interference!! :) I think this is where my project ends. Thank you all for your support! I'll take some pictures of the setup when its cleaned up.

• 3 weeks later...

rightt!..

ive had a good read of the whole thread got a rough idea

as to what im doing.

ive got the standard set up in my E60

gonna go for the top install (i like my bass!)

so what you guys recommend?

can some1 provide a list

AND is anybody wanting to sell any of thier equipment.

cheers guys!

rightt!..

ive had a good read of the whole thread got a rough idea

as to what im doing.

ive got the standard set up in my E60

gonna go for the top install (i like my bass!)

so what you guys recommend?

can some1 provide a list

AND is anybody wanting to sell any of thier equipment.

cheers guys!

For a TOP system, I recommend Morel dotech or Morel Hybrid ovation 4" set to front. Audio-system 8" subs under the seats (drop in install), and a Audison srx5.1k amp.

I havent had a chance to compare Audio System AX 08 BMW subs with Earthquake SWS subs. Can't really say which one is better. But if I had to make a bet, I think my money would go to SWS8. And ofcourse you can get them in 2ohms. So you can give them more power from amp.

And, of course you could do a separate subwoofer box to spare-tire place. I'ts a nice addition, but when listening with normal volumes, you can live easily without it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Right..

Read all the posts of the thread and still full of questions.

I would like to upgrade my e61 LCI stock sound system, but I think I would be happy with just added tweeters and 2 channel amp to drive those stock speakers properly. It seems that all instructions here are for upgrades with new subs and 5 channel amp.

If I used 2 channel amp, does it give more options regarding the amp location? Do I have to wire it to the boot? Where is the original amp located, or is it built in behind the dashboard?

Could someone give good succestions about the amp? PnP appreciated..

And maybe some detailed instructions about wiring or hints if I need some special parts to attach that amp..

Thanks allready!

Hi you all and first of all thanks for the great thread! Really usefull info for upgrading.

I'm planning to upgrade my basic level sounds on -08 e61 by adding tweeters and changing midbasses, both to Bmw Top Hifi, and adding a better amp.

As an amp I'm planning to use Blaupunkt THA 275 PnP.

Do you guys have any suggestions where to place that amp and what would be the minimum efort way to maximum satisfaction?

Do I need any other cables or stuff than these:

Amplifier

Blaupunkt Verstärker THA 275 PnP - Verstärker - caraudio24.de

Adapter cable for Bmw

Adapterkabel ISO Einspeisung für BMW / Mini (flache Kontakte) - Zubehör - caraudio24.de

Should I have some kind of ISO-standard cable from that adapter to amp and then back to adapter's speaker terminal?

How about power to amp? I think it could be feeded from original audio system with such a little amp, but do I need some cables for that or is the power cable included in that cableset leaving the adapter?

Thanks allready!

Hi Guys,

First time post for me :) I have an 05 E60 535D, with the Standard System and Professional Sat Nav.

So I've read through this entire forum and Im now really confused. Sorry I'm really rubbish when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Could someone post the what the easiest setup is to upgrade this, I mean one that a complete noob could install. including the parts please.

Also is there anywhere near London where I could go and just pay someone to upgrade this once I get all the parts?? Like previously mentioned I'm rubbish at this kind of stuff and dont want to ruin anything.

Thanks in advance guys.

After having experimented my system for about 6 months now. I've come to conclusion that there is no need for that 12" sub that I'm having in the back. (Going to take it out)

You can get awesome sound with just 3 or 5 channel amp, and changing those standard 6" elements under seat to 8" Audio Systems or to those Earthquake speakers, and adding tweeters to doors.

In more detail. I started having problems with overlapping bass, eaven with nicely adjusted settings on amp. I think that it just that different materials in car tend to gain some tones, and when sub is in boot (in sedan), its just not a good solution - and makes all kinds of vibes to bass eaven more.

I'm having still a slight probelm of high tones being a bit too bright. Lacking a bit of midtones. But I think its just that midtones are not airtightly fit. Going to open those doors again this summer...

So ... my recommendation is still, Morel 4" set + Audio System or Earthquake 8" subs + amp. Easy to do your self, with the instructions found on this thread.

Thanks for the quick reply dude. I'm making the assumption that your from stateside. I know this is probably an easy job, but I honestly dont feel comfortable with doing this myself.

What I really need is someone that can fit this into my car :roflmao:

Hopefully I can find someone soonish.

Would the system you suggested be better that the subs that everyone else is using?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply dude. I'm making the assumption that your from stateside. I know this is probably an easy job, but I honestly dont feel comfortable with doing this myself.

What I really need is someone that can fit this into my car :roflmao:

Hopefully I can find someone soonish.

Would the system you suggested be better that the subs that everyone else is using?

Thanks

United states of Finland it is :)

I'm using Audio System AX 08 BMW because they fit right in. No need for any kind of customization. Just cut the wires, connect them to terminals and screw everything back. I havent compared those to Earthquake ones. But I think that earthquake subs might be better, not sure thought. I've read some comments that these subs can go below 20hz. And it really sounds like it can. Havent used the meter yet to measure that thought..

I did not have any experience of this kind of stuff before I did my own car. So it certainly is possible. I think that most difficult part was to take out that lowest dash trim, to get access to idrive unit. It was very tight. But there are good pictures around this site and net to help you around, if you decide to do it yourself.

Bought my subs from extremeaudio, - Extremeaudio der Car Hifi Webshop fuer Car Hifi, Autohifi, Caraudio, Car Audio, Soundsysteme, Audio Systeme, Adapter, Doorboards, Multimedia

Thanks for the update dude, I've got an appointment with a local Car Audio shop tomorrow, and will see what they can do for me.

If what they are offering is not something Im happy with then I might try and perform the upgrade myself. :)

If I do it myself I will probably go for the Tweeters, and the 5 channel amp to power everything :)

Any other advice would be more than welcome.... Thanks in advance

When I bought my car last summer, I went to shop too. They said that its going to be a lot more better than any hifi-package that you can get factory fitted. I really belived them. They installed a Kenwood 12" sub to trunk + Solid Focal 1 amp and DLS UP1C tweeters in front. Sound was all too bright, too much highs, and lots of dim bass. I felt like getting in to some teenagers car. Very disapointed. But I thought I'd give it some time, to run in. Didnt help thought. Nowdays, everything they installed, has been removed, and sound is better.

My advices, that I've learned the hard way:

- Dont install sub to sedan trunk

- Dont install tweeters that does'nt match midtone sensitivity (db)

Hope this helps :)