replace ouside cv boot, how to...

Undo the main bolt on the wheel end of the driveshaft with the car on the ground. Jack up the car. Undo the balljoint and carefully dislodge it. Tap the end of the driveshaft with a rubber mallet to dislodge it, then pull the hub assembly away form the car. The driveshaft should pull out of the hub.

ok, yes i have the driveshaft free at the wheel end, the old boot I cut off with a stnly knife.

I tried tapping it with a mallet but nothing seemed to be giving, Quite hard to hit with t being all floppy & i didn't want to snafu it if that wasn't the right thing to be doing, hitting it with a mallet i mean.

any how, I will try again now with a bit more confidence that it will happen.

is it just a light press fit then? or is that a disc spring washer I see there? it looks quite thick to be a spring washer.....

thanks for the info

Alf.

erm, no, lol

what i mean is, does the drive shaft just "press fit" into the cv joint.

ie the end of the drive shaft must be splined to fit into the cv joint, which in turn has a spline (the bit you can see) to fit into the hub which is secured by a big nut.

is there anything holding the drive shaft spline into the cv joint?

Ive been wacking it pretty hard now (am sat outside with my laptop now looking at elsawin again) and it still isnt showing any signs of shifting.

frustration is growing, ive always hated this car, it doesnt like me.