New M3

bigface

A fella i work with has just traded in his xf for an M3 4 door. It has the 7 speed paddle box so i was wondering would this be able to do the launch control take off that his M5 would have done? If so how would it be done as i wouldnt mind a rattle at it tomorrow!!

MOK

If I remember correctly, when the car is in Drive, you push and hold the gearshifter forward. After about 3 seconds a little chequered flag appears in the temperature display between the Rev Counter and Speedo. Still holding the gearshifter forward, floor the throttle. The engine will rev and hold at about 5,500rpm. When the engine is holding the revs, release the gearshifter. The clutch will bang in and you'll be off. But be careful with this if you've never used it before, there's a load of wheelspin and you'll need to be quick to get your left hand back on to the steering wheel to keep the car in a straight line. I wouldn't recommend this on a normal A road where it's busy or if it's wet.

Just remembered, you'll need to be in M Drive aswell.

Edited by tom_hargreaves

But be careful with this if you've never used it before, there's a load of wheelspin

Really? Would be really unusual for LC to produce loads of wheel-spin, as the main purpose of it is to give a controlled launch (hence the name!). On my CSL it allows minimal wheel-spin. It uses the clutch (pulses it) to limit wheel-spin and maintain forward drive.

Not tried the E92 M3 DCT but can't see why it would be much different (?)

Really? Would be really unusual for LC to produce loads of wheel-spin, as the main purpose of it is to give a controlled launch (hence the name!). On my CSL it allows minimal wheel-spin. It uses the clutch (pulses it) to limit wheel-spin and maintain forward drive.

Also in comparison, there's 507bhp going to the back wheels as opposed to 360bhp in your CSL. It's easy to spin the back wheels in dry weather aswell. I personally found doing it myself achieved the fastest acceleration. Although what Wopp has said would probably be the time to exploit it to its full potential.