Help- Turbo Problems with a Vw Golf GT TDI 150BHP

mark_wildman86

Hi

I have a VW Golf, 2002, GTTDI 150BHP model with 102,000miles on the clock.

The turbo recently went and so I had it refurbished and put back on, however I have noticed that it is slightly sluggish and also it 'whistles' alot under power. It also recently broke the inlet pipe under power so i have now had to replace that. Fuel consumption is around 5-10mpg less than it used to run.

I have had it looked at by my local VW garage and they said all golfs whistle and that there 'seems' to be no issue with it.

I however dont think VW would make a car to whistle so loud it is noticable to the driver.

Does anyone have any idea of possible problems which the VW dealership cant be bother to think of or is it just me being paranoid!

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. I love the motor but cant afford to keep replacing bits on it!! I bought it for the renowned 'reliability' of VW!!

I havent checked anything at all yet. I am a fair novice in terms of turbo so not sure what to look for!!

It was refurbished by a company in Birmingham. I will ask the garage which arranged it to supply me with the name of the place.

It did have a slight whistle before but then i think i bought it with a faulty turbo which is why i am not sure if it is meant to whistle or not. On changing gear it also has a 'hissing' noise as if it is releasing all the pressure, again im told this is normal!!

If driven hard the car does not return anything like decent MPG, it starts to drop to the low 30's high 20's which im told is unusual for GT TDI.

What diaognostic equipement can be used to test he boost?

unfortunatley i am learning as i go along so any and all help is welcome.

Many thanks

Are there any generic issues it could be or are we talking issues with the Turbo!

I havent checked anything at all yet. I am a fair novice in terms of turbo so not sure what to look for!!

It was refurbished by a company in Birmingham. I will ask the garage which arranged it to supply me with the name of the place.

It did have a slight whistle before but then i think i bought it with a faulty turbo which is why i am not sure if it is meant to whistle or not. On changing gear it also has a 'hissing' noise as if it is releasing all the pressure, again im told this is normal!!

If driven hard the car does not return anything like decent MPG, it starts to drop to the low 30's high 20's which im told is unusual for GT TDI.

What diaognostic equipement can be used to test he boost?

unfortunatley i am learning as i go along so any and all help is welcome.

Many thanks

Are there any generic issues it could be or are we talking issues with the Turbo!

Logging the boost and fuel should help paint a picture of whats going on, If your ever up towards Leicester pop and you can borrow our vagcom.

Nick

ill do that! what area of leicester?

it due in for a service and mot soon so going get them have a proper look.

i had a rough 0-60 time on it, obviously not precise but i got it timed at around 8.5secs, official figures are 8.2.

just dont want it to **** up again.

what can ya uprate the turbos to on these? and is it worth it?