[Audi A3/S3] 8L S3 fitting a Samco air induction pipe

safety69

I think I have the collapsing hose syndrome on my 8L S3 running Revo and on a visual inspection the section which connects onto the turbo seems very weak.

I would like to fit a Samco pipe rather than the OEM already fitted but it looks to be quite difficult as a DIY job. Has anyone managed to do this themselves and how difficult is it?

Please make your own decision as to your abilities and do so at your own risk, all info given in good faith.

Been there, and had the scrapes and bruises to prove it!

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a3-s3-cabrio/24729-uprated-hoses-s3-large-pics-warning.html

It will be a good hour or mores work dependant on how handy you are with tools.

It can be an awquard job, but most of that will be removing the old audi pipe fixings, and getting the old pipe off the turbo, the rest is plain sailing, like for like swap. (However, please bear in mind, that i am a maintenance engineer, so working on equipment for me is not an issue, and i have the tools to do so. )

There are a few things you will need to prepare before you start.

1. Confirm you have the right TIP pipe. (Turbo intake pipe) There are two versions, one for ESP one without. Simplest way is count the outlets, and compare to yours.

2. Make sure you have all the right size jubilee clips to replace every connection, as the Audi clips are one use, and will be destroyed in taking the old hose off.

3.Tools. you will need a couple of screwdrivers, electrical snips, pliars, and I recommend a small 1/4 drive socket set, a small mirror can be handy too.

4.Make sure the engine is stone cold, the turbo will retain its heat for hours, and easily burn you otherwise.

5. GOLDEN RULE. DO NOT ALLOW ANYTHING TO DROP INTO YOUR TURBO THROUGH OPEN/EXPOSED PIPEWORK! TAKE YOUR TIME AND THINK THINGS AHEAD.

To give you a bit extra room, I would recommend removing the air filter, lid, and base, and disconnect the electrical plug (MAF) bear in mind the open hole in the turbo hose now, so i would bag it up and tape it, so nothing can get into your turbo!

All the audi clips are one use. To remove them, its a case of nipping, cutting, snipping and twisting. until they break with pliars and snips.

At the turbo end, its likely to be a jubilee clip, have a look with your mirror, or by touch find the hex head screw. a 7mm 1/4 drive socket should fit, it for removal.

The turbo end of the original pipe, gave me the most grief. It was very stuborn to remove, but eventually did come free with brute force.

Fitting the new one is just a case of straight swap, with new jubilee clips, and put everything back where you found it, remembering to reconnect your MAF at the air filter.

• 4 weeks later...

Forge Motorsport are another option for a replacement pipe. You get a choice of black, blue or red.

But the easiest thing you can do to overcome the problem isn't to replace the TIP, but to repalce the air filter with a decent one.

The reason the pipe collapses is because more air is needed by the turbo than the filter can let in, so a vacuum is formed, hence the pipe collapses.

If you run it up on the dyno and check the AFR (air fuel ratio) you can see this happening in real time.

Fit a green filter (better air flow) or a K&N.

HTH

:beer: