Miltek vs APR rsc

jamesR

Recently had the APR remap and love it. It took the car to an agreable 252 HP, (if you believe the blurb). After nearly 2 years of owning the car it had become a little predictable. This def freshened up the drive.

I have since modified the car with a baby capsule, but found this makes the car go no faster, in fact apart from the occasional unaccompanied trip its now drives a lot slower.

I am definately not looking for more top end grunt but would enjoy a smoother power delivery. Would CAI and new exhaust provide this?

I was recomended APR exhausts over a Miltek on the basis of its fit. Has anyone had any knocking, vibrations etc from the Milteks compared to OEM. (Also after reading all the Miltek threads has anyone actually got anything other than a Miltek). And do they sound similar?

Cheers

James, firstly what on earth is a "baby capsule"??

A Milltek exhaust will definately increase performance andopen the car up, especially with the full turbo back system which includes the downpipes - 3" are recommended. The catbacks are very effective, too. You couldn't possibly be dissappointed with a Milltek system. In non-resonated version (louder than resonated), the deep grumble and raspier note on full blast is very addictive. It's a renown performance exhaust with a superb reputation. A CAI will also open the car up and help it to breath better, so the combination of both exhaust and CAI would certianly be noticeable. These mods work better with a remap, which clearly you have. For the weather you get in Melbourne, an EVOMS CAI may suit if you don't mind loosing your engine cover (the sysytem won't accommodate the engine cover without modification). It also has a very raspy sound upon gear change too apparently. Alternatively (and better suited to the UK weather as it's enclosed) is the Carbonio CAI system. I'm trying to get one at present, but both the 2 suppliers here in the UK are expecting deliveries within the next 2 weeks. The Carbonio's come with a replacement filter, but something like a BMC, K&N, or ITG filter panel will slot directly in. There's a few on here running EVOMS and Carbonio CAI's and many with Milltek's, so others will no doubt cast their advise/opinions soon. Hope that brief paragraphs helps +++

Jon - Thanks for the info. Baby Capsule - translates to a stage 1 childs car seat. It suits a new born, rather than a proper car seat that requires your kid to have good head control. (I can feel the slippery slope of modification approaching though, and a I think within 6 months i'll have the full childs car seat). OK, I concede this may not be a real modification.

Milteks

- No noises from the installation? No problems with its fit? This was the main point raised by the garage that did my cars re-map. They were very pro APR.

- Couple of terms you hear used with this mod:'Breaths better', 'Opens up' etc, does this mean smoother power delivery? Or is this purely defined by the design of the engine and not its peripherals.

Carbonio CAI would be the direction I would probably head. Seems to have been used by plenty of people, without the discussions that K&N provoke; and it keeps the cars original appearence unlike the EVOMs.

Jon - Thanks for the info. Baby Capsule - translates to a stage 1 childs car seat. It suits a new born, rather than a proper car seat that requires your kid to have good head control. (I can feel the slippery slope of modification approaching though, and a I think within 6 months i'll have the full childs car seat). OK, I concede this may not be a real modification.

Milteks

- No noises from the installation? No problems with its fit? This was the main point raised by the garage that did my cars re-map. They were very pro APR.

- Couple of terms you hear used with this mod:'Breaths better', 'Opens up' etc, does this mean smoother power delivery? Or is this purely defined by the design of the engine and not its peripherals.

Carbonio CAI would be the direction I would probably head. Seems to have been used by plenty of people, without the discussions that K&N provoke; and it keeps the cars original appearence unlike the EVOMs.

There's no problems with the Milltek. The quality is supreme. Your tuner is obviously pushing APR products as he's an authorised dealer, hence planting the seed of doubt about Millteks. No noises from instalation and no problems with fitting except my Ed30 rear valance was cut that little bit more to accommodate the twin pipes, but I'm not 100% sure if they all require that. The VW garage who did the work found it necessary to trim the exhaust cut-out just that little bit more.

Given the design and use of space grade carbon that the Carbonio unit utilises, it minimizes intake temperatures which allows the engine to optimize the available power by drawing in cold, oxygen rich air for the turbo to breath on. The result is that power will come on sooner and the engine will pull for longer and stronger. In reality, and alongside a remap and quality exhaust (Milltek is proven), the bhp gains will add up +++