want a laugh??

Vagabond

I had my heart set on another R32 last week so i found a beauty on the net at Arnold clark. MY57 3 door with 3200 miles!! perfect i thought!! So i got my self over to the dealer sharpish. On my arrival there was no car, the salesman told me that the car had been recalled for a door lock issue and would be back in a "few days" So assured me that the car was mint and there was a lot of interest in it already. Keen as i was, i decided to leve £100 deposit, just to secure it! I went back to the dealer 5 days later and asked if he had the car back, "no" he said. I started to smell the BS and decided to do some digging. Low and behold the car is indeed at VW.......minus a gearbox!!! the tech told me they were awiting a tool to fix a bearing but he wasn't entirely sure!!! So, needless to say i will be asking for my £100 back!! WHY THE FECK TELL LIES!!! The saleman must have thought i was buttoned up the back! No wonder the mileage is low.....the feckin thing hasn't turned a wheel in a few months FFS!!!

Surely the car would arraive at the showroom with a clean bill of health, fully repaired and under warranty? As you say, 3200 miles is nothing, so wouldn't your interest remain, depending on the price that is?

I know how your feeling vagabond.

I'm considering a mk4 r32 as a weekend toy.but for only a few £k more your into mk5 teritory.

Would a mk4 be a step back after the mk5 i sold a year ago?

who knows.:confused:

or maybe even a tt sport?

Edited by Maxyboy

I know how your feeling vagabond.

I'm considering a mk4 r32 as a weekend toy.but for only a few £k more your into mk5 teritory.

Would a mk4 be a step back after the mk5 i sold a year ago?

who knows.:confused:

My views and i`ll try and be un-biased.

They are very different cars.....

MK4 is:-

raw, better looking, slightly less mpg/performance, rarer, will become a classic, hard suspension, feels more special etc

MK5:-

subtle, handles and performs slightly better, better mpg, bigger, newer

For me the MK5 didnt feel special enough and having owned a MK4 before I bought another.

They are both great cars though...... if youve owned and MK5 why not go for a MK4?

Riz +++

now that VW has announced the death of the R32, isn't the mk5 going to be as much, if not more, of a classic considering it is now the last of it's kind and based on the brilliant mk5 chassis?
Yes but the MK5 R32 was built in larger numbers and aimed in a more subtle direction, but it is also developing a cult following too...... Its hard to tell at this stage but I think both of the V6 R32`s will become decent buys in the future..... its the noise and combination of other things which make them so good.

I had a MK5 R32 owner go crazy on me a few weeks back in town.... giving me the big cheesy grin and thumbs up....... :grin: guess he knows that the original has something which the MK5 is missing... BUT the MK5 is a better car in many ways too..... both are equally good but the MK4 will become the more desirable and cult classic :grin:

<< runs and hides.

Riz +++

I haven't driven the MKIV, but did test drive the MKV. I opted for the GTI due to it's tuning capabilities and insisted on a fully loaded car with leather and Monza's so the Ed30 was struck off the list. My view (for what it's worth) and seeing as we're discussing the design element more so, is that you cannot get bored of the MKIV styling -it's spot on and already a classic with iconic status. My only gripe with both marques is the front end styling - quite sedate compared to the rest of the car. The back ends of both marques are totally stunning as is both marques stance and presence - it's what VW designers have got absolutley spot on in both guises (and all the marques bar the MKIII for the GTI, IMO). When it comes to the interior, the MKV, IMO, is a nicer, higher quality place to be. The V6 and the styling is what it's all about with .:R ownership and although I have no doubt that that's what drove MKV owners to buy their cars in the first place, that sentiment seems to be more prevalent with MKIV owners. I've been sorely tempted by a MKIV on numerous ocassions, but and without any contempt intended whatsoever, haven't been by the MKV, although I do recognise it's a great car with great capability. Both are superb, beautiful and very capable cars. I totally agree with the sentiment that the hardcore following for the sublime V6 will only grow in numbers and become even more exclusive as time goes on +++

All i know is i came close to selling my .:R a while back, and would've regretted it so much. Yes, there are better cars out there, but i'm a Vee Dub nut through and through, they get under your skin... Especially knowing now that the V6 has been killed off, my .:R is staying with me.

The day I stop getting excited about going to drive it, about listening to the glorious sound of the engine, of seeing what one day will be seen as madness, the idea of shoe horning a big capacity V6 unnescessarily into a family hatchback, is the day i'll get rid of her...

Until then, it'll make me smile everytime I fire her up :)