GTI Tail Happy??

paul130TDI

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else noticed the rear end of their GTI sliding quite unexpectedly, at the weekend, i turned quite hard into a sharp bend and although i was going quickly i really didn't expect the rear to go out. It was no big drama as i was turning onto a dual carriageway with no other cars around, although it did take opposite steering to pull it back in again. The roads were dry and almost perfect conditions, and although i turned in quite hard and reasonably quick, i didn't think it would have been anywhere near enough to put on quite a spectacular display.

I checked the tyre pressures and all were on the dot of 35psi.

Oh, its a 07 MK5 GTI.

Cheers

Paul

I can't say I've noticed this, if anything slight understeer when caning it but that's expected! A couple of times I've had the tail have a mind of its own sliding out but that was on very poor conditions - very greasy road around a bend at very high speeds, lethal combo I know :-D

Cheers for the replies guys,

Yeah i did lift off the throttle before turning in reasonably, ok quite hard. To be honest i was expecting the front to understeer and push the nose a bit but not a inch. The front went around like on rails unfortunalty the back didn't.

It was just so unexpected, it is possible i was going much harder than i remember and i've since had another look at the same corner and it really is a right angle bend!!!

Anyway no harm was done, and luckly no rap on the door form traffic branch!!!!

Cheers

Paul

yes mines a little tail happy its something i think is to get it good reviews in magazines as they always like tail happy cars and say they are good handlers if they are tail happy. look at old peugeot and BMW reviews as an example. Its not inert[sp?] and save like older GTis were thats for sure.

....A wee bit of extra camber and your best treads on the rear axle is a good idea.

I saw a Honda Civic earlier today which had extreme camber. It was so squat, too. The tyres couldn't have had full contact with the road it was that extreme :eek: