Clearkote Red Machine Glaze

Tarmac_Terrorist

I've just ordered some of this stuff to apply after machine polishing / correcting the paint.

I know RMG contains fillers but I am not interested in this particular property. I just want it to achieve a deeper wetter look prior to wax application.

I plan to apply it with my Kestrel DA. Has anyone used RMG before? Do I apply at low speed and just spread or does it need to be 'worked' a little.

I assume Dodo Supernatural should bond OK to the CK RMG?

This is my plan of attack:

Wash

Clay

Wash again & dry

Machine polish

Clean paint with Menzerna Top Inspection

Apply RMG & Remove

Apply Dodo Supernatural v2 wax - 1 coat

leave 24 hours

Apply 2nd coat of Dodo SN wax

Put it in the garage and probably won't drive it for another 3 weeks :roflmao:

Any thoughts?

Hi TT

RMG has very, very little filling ability. People think glazes and they think fillers, maybe in 1990 but not now! RMG, CG EZ Glaze just a few glazes that wont fill very well. Not important in your case but worth knowing, its not a glaze anyone should buy if they want to mask or fill imperfections.

Its mostly works best on metalics and pearls b/c it has good optics. IMO if you can swap it for Yellow Moose (designed for red and black colours) you get will better effects on your red paintwork.

Even so RMG will leave you with a thin, crisp wet layer. Applied by Megs polishing pad you want to do 4 good pea size amounts, spread manually, pass the pad over the spread product at speed 3-4. Work until gone.

RMG should just disapear in to the paintwork, if you are getting large volumes of red dust your using to much. Theres no abrasives, so what doesnt go in to the paintworks pores is waste.

I would expect to wipe over each panel and see a little red dust on your MF, there certantly shouldent be any great process of removing RMG residue.

DODO SN works fine RMG as i have used in the photos before shown on here and various places before, a good combo!

Your plan of attack looks good, dont forget to post photos! Oh and shake that RMG like nothing you shook before!

Geoff

Brilliant - thanks Geoff +++ Very useful advice

I am expecting the RMG to arrive tomorrow so already committed. I was under the impression that RMG was filler heavy from what I had read on Detailing world -Joys of the internet! Anyway, as said, I don't want it for it's filling abilities anyway so that's fine.

I'll remember to shake it well :o

Hi TT!!

Oh ok you ordered! It is possible to do a 70/30 mix of the Menz finishing polish and RMG to get things done in one go. All i was going to say was dont worry if you get it thick on the first application, remeber you can always push the pad against the panel to release some of the excess product.

The RMG is thin so its easy for it go get obsorbed and then to splatter!

As for the DW and the RMG thing; there is a phrase going around "if you want to see good photos and great write ups go to DW, if you want a answer by someone who knows go to Autopia".

Autopia boasts some very good, dedicated posters who know alot and will explain technical theorys on why and how things work. On DW you can ask the same question once one month, the same question again another month and get two different answers. Only one of them right!

Certantly RMG wont fill as well as say Megs Hand polish or #7 or VM or Mothers Sealer and Glaze.

I cant wait to see how it works out!

Geoff

I've just ordered some of this stuff to apply after machine polishing / correcting the paint.

I know RMG contains fillers but I am not interested in this particular property. I just want it to achieve a deeper wetter look prior to wax application.

I plan to apply it with my Kestrel DA. Has anyone used RMG before? Do I apply at low speed and just spread or does it need to be 'worked' a little.

I assume Dodo Supernatural should bond OK to the CK RMG?

This is my plan of attack:

Wash

Clay

Wash again & dry

Machine polish

Clean paint with Menzerna Top Inspection

Apply RMG & Remove

Apply Dodo Supernatural v2 wax - 1 coat

leave 24 hours

Apply 2nd coat of Dodo SN wax

Put it in the garage and probably won't drive it for another 3 weeks :roflmao:

Any thoughts?

Hi Phil,

RMG is a superb product.

I am looking forward to applying it when I finally purchase a Megs machine.

Your process looks spot on and the use of Menzerna is a good choice for German paint.

Just out of interest when you use your machine with these products where are the best places to apply the masking tape?.

I realise you should apply it to black trim etc but what about the edges of panels etc?.

Also if applying it to edges of panels would you do one panel at a time with the machine, pull the tape off then cover that area by hand?

Any info appreciated ! +++

Hi TT!!

Oh ok you ordered! It is possible to do a 70/30 mix of the Menz finishing polish and RMG to get things done in one go. All i was going to say was dont worry if you get it thick on the first application, remeber you can always push the pad against the panel to release some of the excess product.

As for the DW and the RMG thing; there is a phrase going around "if you want to see good photos and great write ups go to DW, if you want a answer by someone who knows go to Autopia".

Autopia boasts some very good, dedicated posters who know alot and will explain technical theorys on why and how things work. On DW you can ask the same question once one month, the same question again another month and get two different answers. Only one of them right!

Certantly RMG wont fill as well as say Megs Hand polish or #7 or VM or Mothers Sealer and Glaze.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I've taken your advice and become a member of Autopia !. I can see what you mean about DW !!

Cheers for the tip !

P+++

Hi Dibbs,

Personally unless you have rotary i would not mask off the edges of the panels, i havent had any issues atleast.

Good to see you on Autopia! I mean to no disrespect to DW or its memebers, there are alot of class acts on there. Just when it comes to info its very hit and miss ;).

Geoff

Hi Phil,

RMG is a superb product.

I am looking forward to applying it when I finally purchase a Megs machine.

Your process looks spot on and the use of Menzerna is a good choice for German paint.

Just out of interest when you use your machine with these products where are the best places to apply the masking tape?.

I realise you should apply it to black trim etc but what about the edges of panels etc?.

Also if applying it to edges of panels would you do one panel at a time with the machine, pull the tape off then cover that area by hand?

Any info appreciated ! +++

Hi Dibbs,

As Geoff has said, with a dual action polisher masking edges shouldn't really be necessary. I will obviously mask off any plastics / rubber trim / badges etc. Aside from this I have only used the polisher once with SRP so the Menzerna polishes will be a learning curve. I'm hoping to get away with just using 106FA as I have only very light swirling but I do read of many stories where VW paint requires a lot of effort. I hope to wash/ clay the car next week in the evenings and I will try polishing an area of the bonnet to see which Menz polish I need. The dificulty is seeing swirls when it is so cloudy! I have a good LED torch but I could probably do with some halogens or similar. :)

Hi TT!!

Geoff

Hi Geoff, thanks for this info. +++ I know what you mean about DW sometimes!!

I didn't know that you could mix the Menz & RMG! The thing is, I might apply them seperately as I assume that if I do an IPA wipe / Menz top inspection after polishing, this would remove both products (polish residue & RMG)

Do you have any experience of working on German paint finishes? Some seem to struggle with DA's and favour rotaries. I guess it's a case of slowly slowly and thoroughly breaking the abrasives down - all in the approach / technique!

Hi TT

Yes the Top Inspection will remove any RMG or oils from the polish so yeah it might make the mix a bit pointless!

I think on harder paintwork you will only have to give the car a more aggressive combo of pad and polish. The rotary can do more work in a shorter time ie. break down aggresive polishers quicker and hence the work load is less. I think with time you can get the same results! It doesnt seem like you have anything to bad to deal with, alot of new polish people seem to not polish enough, stopping before the product has broken down.

If this your first abrasive polish you will probably notice at first a clearer finish (as marring from washing etc will be removed) and a glossier finish from the abrasive action even if you dont remove all the swirls on first hit!

If you had serious swirls breaking down Menz. Power Gloss or whatever there tough one is alot of arm breaking action holding the machine!

The best thing to do is check the your action as often as possible, nothing worse then doing the whole car thinking its great and then seeing alot of the swirls are still there.

One good product that is easy to use and fit is strip light with a "day light bulb". I already had the strips in the garage so it was just a case of popping in the day light bulb and wow, they will show problems!

I cant wait to see photos, i think the GTI will look even better then it ussually does! I think you will be happy to get the claying done on a different day to the machine polishing!

Geoff

Hi Geoff, Thanks for this. I've only got a single small strip light in the garage and not very much working space to the sides of the car. The strip light would be very good for the roof & bonnet though.

After trawling the net & diy places I managed to get my hands on a twin halogen site lamp (2 x 500w lamps on a tripod) for £19. Screwfix have just opened a branch near me and are offing discounts at the moment. Probably a little over the top but I will make use of this for other garage / garden projects and it folds up very compact to store. Anyway, I'm banned for spending any more on car detailing gear for a couple of months. :grin:+++

Phil

Anyway, I'm banned for spending any more on car detailing gear for a couple of months. :grin:+++

That will give you plenty of time to work out what products/gear you want to buy next, TT :grin:

I have a delivery coming this morning from ECC, but it's drizzling having been the best weather for about a year. I'll have to wait until tomorrow's forecasted sun to get out there :)