DNS - nameservers?

DHA

Name servers are used to hold or lookup where a certain server or device that you are accessing. This allow users to have fluffy furry names that actually point to an IP address, just like a phone book.

ie. www.tyresmoke.net will resolve to 59.167.238.3

From memory there are 12 'Root' DNS servers which will hold the master copies of all public DNS records(phonebook).

Mac will be along in a mo to give you the proper answer :P

Instantly, maybe not but it depends on what you have done, it can be fairly quick but can take 24hrs to fully replicate, I don't know exact details though.

They used to be all run by IBM p690's I know that much but you don't care about that. :D

The DNS server is just a pointer to your blog, its only if you change where your blog is living or when its created there is a delay.

After that when you put in DHAisamuppet.co.uk it knows to go to 203.34.43.5 and hey presto your webpage in its very latest form is shown. However if you move it to a new ISP or website hosting co. the back end IP address the one with the numbers changes so if it tries to go to the old number it won't work, when its replicated the change correctly it works again.

The blog itself changes the place it lives doesn't. +++ Think of it like the yellow pages and a business, if you move you tell them the new number if you don't people know where to contact you. ;)

Edited by CarMad

Ok so my site CarMadandthedusibergkidarehavingagayaffair.com is just a domain name but is hosted on my mobileme account and when I change the content on mobile me it shows the "this DNS is not found page". Anything I can do about that?

Ok so my site CarMadandthedusibergkidarehavingagayaffair.com is just a domain name but is hosted on my mobileme account and when I change the content on mobile me it shows the "this DNS is not found page". Anything I can do about that?

:o Its out.. anyway.

Not sure what its trying to do, mobile me as that apple thingy isn't it. That could be your problem. :coffee: Mac has probably used it and should be able to help I'm sure.