Oh No - Dreaded Gearbox Thumping - HELP!

jmw748

(2002 S8 Final Edition) I had my gearbox serviced by Chester Auto Transmissions as a precaution after I bought my S8 in late January. I had no problems with the 'box, but wanted to do a full service just in case. Last week, the car displayed all gears in red for a short time and seemed to drop into limp mode (minimal speed and pickup), but I restarted the car and she was fine. No problems for last 3 weeks, then today I switched from D to S and put my foot down and the car screamed as it stayed in neutral, before thumping into gear. Coming home tonight, it thumped a few times when setting off from junctions and revved it's balls off before engaging at a junction, yet all other changes are smooth. Tiptronic works, but has the same problem intermittently as in D. The 'box seems to be "slipping" then engaging heavily with a heavy thump in first only. I does't do it every time, but enough to be a problem.

For info, I often put the box in N as I sit at traffic lights and also switch from D to S and tiptronic very often. Another thing I only noticed after the service was that I could hear the gearbox whining "through" the aircon/ventilation system - it's as if the vents are amplifying the gearbox noise. Maybe I just didnt notice that before, but I'm sure it got louder after the service. C.A.T did the full "gearbox dialysis" routine with filter, o-ring and Esso ATF (I insisted on it over Dexron 6).

Am I seeing the first signs of a gearbox rebuild?

Cheers. It only slipped once today and drove fine for the rest of the journey. I have over 400 miles to do over the next two days, so I've made sure that my RAC cover is up to date. I'll call CAT tomorrow and describe the symptoms. I've decided the car is worth investing the money in, if needed. If it is a serious gearbox issue, then I'm inclined to advise people NOT to service their 'boxes until they experience problems - mine was fine before I had trhe work done and I'm sure CAT did a good job.

Lots of other owners have experienced problems after 'box services, so I'm wondering if there really is the benefit we all trumpet about from "breaking the seal"? Has anyone got VAGCOM in Cheshire - I'd like to see if any codes are being thrown up - particularly interested in 'box fluid level codes - if I find it's low, then I'm actually going to be quite pleased!!

Cheers fellas, I was actually looking for their website because I hear they can drop a manual box into an S8 and I just wanted to know if the cost would be much more than an auto rebuild (if it's necesary);) Would be an awesome project if the price was right....

I'm in Salisbury for the next 24 hours, then Corsham on Weds, but I'll call Grizz tomorrow. I just drove 180 miles with only three thumps and revs going mad incidents so it's definately an issue, but not a showstopper. I need to get her looked at asap, but I need to do the next few days of meetings first.

Singh, can you pm me with details of your gearbox issue and how much it cost to resolve please mate?

I'll tell you what the outcome is....here's hoping it's manageable, but I can't help thinking I'm about to get stung by Audi's Achille's heel of gearbox woes... so I'm not a happy bunny!