New Passat Thoughts

ChrisBradburn

I'm thinking of buying a new Passat and wondered if anyone out there with one had any thoughts? I've been looking through the posts here to see if there are any "water problems" or electrical problems with door locks but it all seems to be the last version with the problems. What did they call it in the adverts? "The Beautifully Engineered Passat". Reading the tales of woe here, it would seem anything but.

Anyway, any thoughts on R36 vs SEL 4Motion? They both seem to drink the fuel or are they just fuel cooled? Even so, the R36 does look the business.

Or do I lower my sights and make do with a TDI 140 4Motion? Sadly, that doesn't seem to come with DSG as an option. Does anybody know why?

Chris

We have a few on the fleet, I think they are 170bhp sport versions, most of ours have DSG, and are quite nice to drive.

They are too new really to know what inherent faults they will have (all cars from all manufacturers have faults), but so far they have all been faultless.

R36 is a proper tool!

For what it's worth, the previous generation Passat was (and still is) a very good buy, the faults you read about are mostly avoidable, and they are still very reliable, remember that you will only ever read negative things on internet forums from a minority of owners, as very rarely do people post to say they are having no problems and don't need anyones help or advice!

I'm thinking of buying a new Passat and wondered if anyone out there with one had any thoughts? I've been looking through the posts here to see if there are any "water problems" or electrical problems with door locks but it all seems to be the last version with the problems. What did they call it in the adverts? "The Beautifully Engineered Passat". Reading the tales of woe here, it would seem anything but.

Anyway, any thoughts on R36 vs SEL 4Motion? They both seem to drink the fuel or are they just fuel cooled? Even so, the R36 does look the business.

Or do I lower my sights and make do with a TDI 140 4Motion? Sadly, that doesn't seem to come with DSG as an option. Does anybody know why?

Chris

Tales of woe?

People come on here to specifically ask for help. If you think about how many passat's there are and then how many people on here asking about them, then you will realise not all of them have problems!

As with all cars, you get a good one - which 90% are, then you are laughing. Also depends upon the previous owner.

I'd love an R36 Estate! +++

Like the other post here, as long as VW sort out these niggling probs after all these years (perhaps they have on the new ps?) such as the leak via pollen filter housing etc etc....which can cause expensive probs to the ECM under passenger carpet. Bad design sorry (or it was a bad design ???).

Otherwise, and for a few other issues on these sites, the P seems to be a great car and flagship....VW do need to stamp out the niggling issues and assist the customer more on this. I know, Ive been to see a number of the agents operating and some ignorance shown to the customers. Yes, all cars/manufacturers have some inherent problem, be it VW or a Bentley....but no excuses on some of these posted issues, please, VW.... Best of luck with the new range and fingers crossed.

Just been on the CAR website and read about a proposed facelift for the Passat this year to include common rail deisels in the line-up.

I this likely to happen or is it just gossip?

Worth the wait?

Common rails are already in now and have been since last year!

such as the leak via pollen filter housing etc etc....which can cause expensive probs to the ECM under passenger carpet.

This fault is caused by the incorrect fitment of the pollen filter though, not bad design, but bad workmanship from whoever fitted the filter.

The drain hole under the battery is bad design though, as you have to remove the battery to clear it out, or you end up with the same symptoms as a poorly fitted pollen filter.

Interior rattles are a pain. VAG dealers useless. Handling a bit rolly, even on the Sport. Interior quality lower than Audi (everything, inc. seat materials). A lot of issues with fuel pumps but most will have had the newer design fitted by now, mine has.

Image is a bit dull. A very competent and good value car though. Mine has done 72K and I have the print out from the fleet company owner before me - only thing was the fuel pump, replaced FOC, and - recently, problems with the stereo system (still not quite sorted). I'd definitely have another one, though I do miss the Audi quality inside and the better image.