Subaru legacy vs Audi 2.0/3.2 fsi quattro vs Golf R32

Rob4001

Hi

I am look at 4WD saloon cars that are comfortable fast have an auto box reliable. They dont have to be 4WD but I do 80% of my driving on A-B Roads so it is preferable. My budget is 14-15k. The cars I have mentioned in the title are what I am considering. Any other suggestions if I have over looked something. Insurance group less than 18 is best for me. I'm not sure if there have over looked any cars.

Many thanks for advice/suggestions.

Hi

When you say Legacy do you mean the 3.0 245HP or the 2.0? I would take boxer six myself. The Auto trans can be changed via SI Drive; Driver Selectable Engine and Transmission Control System. The only thing is

As for this 2.0 In the A4 or whatever Audi you are talking about i have never heard good things about it! I think the turbo or TDI model would be your best bet. I dont think Subaru is all the cheap to service and the Audi wont be either, atleast the customer service might better at Subaru.

As for the Golf, they seem nice enough, all the trim will melt away though ;).Very bland inside, very bland outside. IME of the DSG can get a bit annoying be if you like putting your foot down when it thinks your slowing down.

Those DSG boxes "predict" what you wanted to do by having 2 gearboxes. One is in use the other box selects the next ratio. Absolute crap if your slowing down, say for example where traffic is feeding in to a filter lane it over flows in to yours. You slow down, the fliter lane moves and frees your lane, the DSG isnt ready for that change if you step on it and whoops, your head and torso are now seperate. Same for the motorway over taking, in busy but flowing traffic. Atleast thats im experince in the Passat.

Cant say much for the Legacy gearbox, it just seems ALOT slower then the manual.

Geoff

Current shape 330i if you aren't tied to 4wd (and I'm not sure why you would be).

You can get an SE within your budget (quite possibly with toys as well) and might pick an M-Sport with less than 50k on the clock for around your budget.

Not an original choice but I guess it's the default one for good reason.

I thought i would throw my usual old ball your way.

Why not get a "proper" sedan, shop around for the Volvo S80 Yamaha tuned 4.4L V8 AWD, Auto. 315HP, Grand-daddy cool, Grand-daddy cool!

Mitsubishi LancerX Rallyart 2.0T 265 BHP, Auto with flappy paddles. Super AWD!! This Rallyart is still aggresive looking, but the looks are seriously toned down over the EVO.

Honda Legend (new) as mentioned on here the other day, not sure what they are used yet but probably not much more then half there new price!

Edited by steelwind101

Those DSG boxes "predict" what you wanted to do by having 2 gearboxes. One is in use the other box selects the next ratio. Absolute crap if your slowing down, say for example where traffic is feeding in to a filter lane it over flows in to yours. You slow down, the fliter lane moves and frees your lane, the DSG isnt ready for that change if you step on it and whoops, your head and torso are now seperate. Same for the motorway over taking, in busy but flowing traffic. Atleast thats im experince in the Passat

Can honestly say that I have never experienced anything whatsoever like that with the sublime VW DSG. Experience of the 'box is required to perfect it, but that's easily conquered and life doesn't get much better thereafter :) Looks are, of course, subjective, but I don't think anyone can honestly say that the R32 is bland.

I thought i would throw my usual old ball your way.

Why not get a "proper" sedan, shop around for the Volvo S80 Yamaha tuned 4.4L V8 AWD, Auto. 315HP, Grand-daddy cool, Grand-daddy cool!

Genius choice Geoff! You never fail to provide the curve ball.

That S80 would be a good buy. Nobody would expect it to shift neither, and you get a V8 sound track! +++

With the Subaru, you can get the 2.5 Boxer in a few Legacy's/Outbacks? Maybe the Audi Allroad?

However, the biggest bargain will be the VW Phaeton. Big ol' beastie, the 4 Motion bit is available with the 3.0 TDi, V8 4.2, V10 TDi and W12. Servicing won't be cheap, but buying it will be!

VW Passat W8 4 Motion - right Q-car!

Passat R32. Should be really cheap now!

Mitsu VR-4 Legnum (be careful though)

PS - don't buy an Audi 2.0 quattro, unless it's the turbo version.

Edited by cruiser647
Passat R32 added!

Can honestly say that I have never experienced anything whatsoever like that with the sublime VW DSG. Experience of the 'box is required to perfect it, but that's easily conquered and life doesn't get much better thereafter :) Looks are, of course, subjective, but I don't think anyone can honestly say that the R32 is bland.

Are you not suppose to be off on some super lovely drive this weekend? ;)

HAha! Well you know i posted about this before and your the first person on here to say anything. I have the 6 speed and i notice it seems to be changed to a 7. I wondered if it was more to do with the fact that its a bloated Passat estate with 140 HP and the mercy of my right foot.

Took it to VW (i dident buy it) and they said that it was a "trait" of the system.

Are you not suppose to be off on some super lovely drive this weekend? ;)

HAha! Well you know i posted about this before and your the first person on here to say anything. I have the 6 speed and i notice it seems to be changed to a 7. I wondered if it was more to do with the fact that its a bloated Passat estate with 140 HP and the mercy of my right foot.

Took it to VW (i dident buy it) and they said that it was a "trait" of the system.

Hi Geoff; got back about 3pm this afternoon. Weather was stunning - I reckon we had the some of the best weather this weekend :) Scenery was mind-boggingly beautiful. Only got on chance of one photo (was having too much fun caning it!

No not tried any of them yet. i test drove a golf V5 liked it but been put off by dealer wanting too much. for it £6.5k I live to far away from audi dealer 2-3 hours closest dealer. VW dealer here charges premium as they are only one of few car dealers for miles around. Will try subaru this weekend.