5 series v 7 series - which one to buy?

Bristol

HI, new to this forum. Did quick search but could not spot link to posts on whether a 5 series or a 7 series is better option for my requirements and if I can get options I want.

I think I want a 730d Sport , Black with cream leather and LOTS of toys but definitely soft close doors and powered boot PLUS ventilated front seats probably £20-25K so maybe 40,000 miles 3-4 years old.

Is that spec out there (seats seem to be problem, lots with comfort only option but I don't see ventilated.

I have an E Class E280 now, I think a 7 series would drive just as well and give step up in luxury.

Any commenst advise please?

Thanks

C in Bristol.

I have driven an E280 and I must say it was fairly surprising the way the car went. It had all the bells and whistles, even the sports suspension and it was pretty appealing. But as for whether the 7 or the 5? Well let me be perfectly blunt.

The only 7s which are worth looking at are the E38s because they were rugged. That's if you stay away from that troublesome M73 engined wale the 750Li. But the E65/E66 range, please mate just forget it. They are not sporty, they are not reliable and rather just love the BMW workshops.

If you have the money well go for the all new 7. It is EPIC! But if you're rather looking to spend about E60 worth, go for it. They are much better built, especially the later models (2006 -> Present). A 535d is the one to go for if you're looking at diesels. If however you're thinking about petrol engined ones a 530i is the one I will go for. The engine is much more agile than the lazy V8s, not to mention that thirst of theirs which is never quenched.

One more thing: The late model E60s could have been ordered with the nice soft close option, so you may get to have one with the clicking in door option after all :)

I have had the 535d sport and Dad has the 730d sport, is is a 2007 in black with black leather, has nice 20" V8 wheels and still more comfy than the 535d was.

Now the 730d can be had for around £25k with 30-40k miles on it I would take one of them, I am not a fan of big cars but adore that 7 series, loads of room and comfy when wafting around, but put your foot down and it shrinks around you.

He also had a W211 E class before and that was nice, but no where near as nice a drive as the BMW. Then he bought an S320cdi but didn't like it all that much , preferred the E-Class as the S was far too wallowy.

He was a massive Merc fan, but after owning the 7 series he said he wouldn't go back.

• 2 weeks later...
HI, new to this forum. Did quick search but could not spot link to posts on whether a 5 series or a 7 series is better option for my requirements and if I can get options I want.

I think I want a 730d Sport , Black with cream leather and LOTS of toys but definitely soft close doors and powered boot PLUS ventilated front seats probably £20-25K so maybe 40,000 miles 3-4 years old.

Is that spec out there (seats seem to be problem, lots with comfort only option but I don't see ventilated.

I have an E Class E280 now, I think a 7 series would drive just as well and give step up in luxury.

Any commenst advise please?

Thanks

C in Bristol.

Well, interesting comments from other people about the 7, but I absolutely adore my 745i. It is the best car I've ever owned and is far superior to anything else I have ever owned. It is beautiful to drive, handles like a dream and is smooth and powerful, but with lots of toys. Definately go for the options you ask for. Mine has all of those options and yes, the ventilated seats are a must (no more sweaty back in the warm weather). Soft close doors are very nice and add that touch of classiness. The Logic7 sound system is a must too. One option above all that you MUST go for is the EDC adaptive suspension (Electronic Damper Control). This transforms the car from a wallowy cruising machine to a very agile machine that handles superbly. Just change the setting from 'Comfort' to 'Sports' mode and you feel the suspension stiffen up and the steering wheel stiffen up and you feel like you're in a much smaller car. I drive on country roads every day in EDC Sports mode and it always puts a smile on my face.

My last car was an Audi A8 D2 4.2 Quattro Sport and my 7 is a far cry from the Audi.

Oh, and when running on LPG, I get the equivalent of 50mpg!! What more could you ask for in a car!