Alonso confirmed as joining Ferrari in 2010

Mook

Wednesday, 30 September 2009 15:21 UK

Ferrari have announced that double world champion Fernando Alonso will join them for 2010 from Renault, replacing Kimi Raikkonen.

Ferrari said the Spaniard had signed a three-year contract and that he would partner Brazilian Felipe Massa.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Ferrari confirm capture of Alonso

Well, with Alonso having been at the centre of both the major cheating scandals of the last couple of years, and Ferrari famous for being Teflon-coated as far as the FIA is concerned, it'll be interesting to see what happens if the whiff of foul play follows him to the Scuderia next year.

Well, with Alonso having been at the centre of both the major cheating scandals of the last couple of years, and Ferrari famous for being Teflon-coated as far as the FIA is concerned, it'll be interesting to see what happens if the whiff of foul play follows him to the Scuderia next year.

You seem to have conveniently forgot the lying to officials scandal to try and get another driver disqualified and gain points!!!

Same could be said of LH then eh!!!

Looking forward to it myself, should be good!!

It will be interesting to see what happens to Alonso when he joins a team on the slide with a team mate who has proven he is as good as anyone. Will it all end in tears as it did at McLaren? We can but hope.

On the slide!!! It's all a mix up this year eh, hardly definitive!! Besides have you looked at the constructors recently!! Red Team 3rd !!! British cheats 4th, French cheats 7th!!! That in my book is a step upwards.

Well done byron, that's eleven sentences with 28 exclamation marks between them. There does seem to be an inverse relationship between the reliability of a viewpoint and how spittle-flecked it is. :coffee:

Yawn Yawn - Why not just stick to the topic of the discussion rather than criticise my liberal use of exclamation marks? As you may have noticed if you analyse my posts so thoroughly I have a penchant for these, rather than the more modern use of emoticons!! (two just for you)

On the slide!!! It's all a mix up this year eh, hardly definitive!! Besides have you looked at the constructors recently!! Red Team 3rd !!! British cheats 4th, French cheats 7th!!! That in my book is a step upwards.

Double deck diffusers 153

Clever suspension 110.5

Have the FIA in their pocket and threaten to quit when they don't get their own way. Very much on the slide this year 62

The in form team who take their punishment like adults 59

Yawn Yawn - Why not just stick to the topic of the discussion rather than criticise my liberal use of exclamation marks? As you may have noticed if you analyse my posts so thoroughly I have a penchant for these, rather than the more modern use of emoticons!! (two just for you)

Sorry for the digression, I was merely observing that in other places the use of multiple exclamation marks is usually short-hand for "the sentence that precedes is a bug-eyed rant." But no need to state the obvious, so back on topic.

I'm looking forward to seeing Raikkonen back in the McLaren, I've always rated him and it will be interesting to see how he fares against Hamilton. It might help confirm what I've believed up to now, that McLaren hasn't quite as good as Ferrari for the last couple of seasons, and Hamilton has flattered the car, or it might blow that theory out of the water. I suppose there will be people who will assume that Hamilton will get secret preferential treatment, as was claimed with Alonso, but I'm more interested in the driver situation at Ferrari.

Will one of the Ferrari team be lead driver? Would Alonso accept a position with equal standing to Massa, when that was the sticking point at McLaren? Would Massa accept being second fiddle? He doesn't deserve to, with some top class drives to his name.

Has Raikkonen not lost his mojo a bit though of late. I know the Ferrari isn't the best car on the track this year, but Massa always seemed to fare better than him before his horrendous accident.

As for Massa versus Alonso, I'd like to hope Massa will be right back on it, but there will always be doubts at the start of next season.

Alonso is a surreal driver, as is Massa. He was proven to be not implicated in the whole Renault cheating debacle, so I don't see this as an issue.

Having two top drivers in one team has normally been brilliant - Senna and Prost being the best, IMO +++

With the top 4 drivers driving for the top 2 teams (IMO). 2010 should have some epic battles, if we are lucky some of the battles might be on the track.

I nearly commented that the top four were in the top 2 teams, but then I thought "What about Vettel?" Both Raikkonen and Massa are prone to days where they just don't deliver as well as they might, and Vettel might have the edge on them overall.

I reckon next year there will be four teams in the hunt for the championship - McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Brawn.

We'll have to see though - it might end up being none of them!

Those have got to be the main suspects, for the driver's title at least, but I worry whether Brawn can keep the momentum going. No major rule changes, so less chance of a big upset like this year. But what's going to happen with the new teams? They were attracted on the promise of a $40 million cap that hasn't happened, and they're probably not going to be able to invest at the level of the top teams. Are we going to see half a dozen mobile chicanes on the track?

Not sure about Brawn. Hopefully they'll be up there, but old Ross is gonna have to think up some new tactics for next season without being able to fall back on pit strategy...

As a long time paid up member of the tifosi I'm quite excited about Alonso. Hopefully there'll be some epic title battles between him and Hamilton over the next few years. +++

As long as Brawn will be running the Merc customer engine, I reckon they'll be up there. From all the reports this year, they need hot quali and race days, so hopefully they can sort that over the winter. Be good to see a smaller, less well funded team biting at the heels of Merc and Ferrari (given that they've had Honda funding this year).

I'd been hearing Bob Kubiča to Renault before the latest scandal, less so now...

BTW, USF1 ain't looking good. They apparently haven't installed any production equipment yet and cancelled a technical meeting with Cosworth.

:(