Audi a3 3.2 battery problem

Dirtbag1981

Hi lads, on xmas eve I was driving long distance and decided the need to go to the loo (sorry to share) I switched the engine off but left lights on for 2 mins, came back and tried starting the car and it struggled and did not fire up then the bose sound system went to SAFE mode, from here it then went to tick,tick,tick,tick,tick when I turned the key, my first thoughts...flat batttery. My father came out with leads and jumped me and it fired up.

I drove the car 60 miles and stopped, left the car overnight, and tried staring it in teh morning thinking it wouldnt work, it fired up no hassle. Recoded the bose as well

3 weeks on and I noticed the car struggled a touch now and again to fire up, like a 1 second hesitation then started.

Today 4 weeks on I filled up at a garage (no lights on or nothing) A had a repeat of the same problem, again from here it then went to tick,tick,tick,tick,tick when I turned the key. Bloke from Green flag comes out and jumps me again, get home and the car starts

Sorry for the long topic, but do you guys think I need a new battery ?

I am trying look at the current one (its age) but it seems I need a special tool to remove the screws for the cover which leads to the battery which is under the spare ?

cheers lads

My (2004) A3 3.2 has needed 2 new batteries since new, the first at a couple of years old the second a few months back.

The first one failed gradually but before it failed I was experiencing alot of electrical gremlins; erratic DSG operation and false warning lights etc, the second failure started out with it being a little weak & slow on startup for a week or so, so I charged it then a couple of days later it just died when I went to the post office, leaving me stranded.

It's a big battery, cost me around £90 IIRC and due to it fitting in a battery shaped compartment you'll need the exact size. You need a 'Torx' tool to remove the cover but they are readily and cheaply available and fitting the new battery is easy enough, note there is a breather/overflow pipe that should exit the bottom of the car and you'll need to reprogramme windows etc.

Edited by DukeDesmo

You don't say how old the car is, but yes, it sounds like a new battery is what you need. Cold weather always strains a battery more and worn ones struggle to hold their charge.

If you're getting a garage to fit it, ask them to check the alternator is charging as it should as well.

You don't say how old the car is, but yes, it sounds like a new battery is what you need. Cold weather always strains a battery more and worn ones struggle to hold their charge.

If you're getting a garage to fit it, ask them to check the alternator is charging as it should as well.

The car is a 54 plate, I have managed to find the Exact tool to undo the screws, I will check tomorrow to see how old it is, I have purchased a battery just in case, I will prolly in the future buy a jump starter power pack as I will be doig longer distances in teh future + cannot be late for work !

Ok i got the covers off, and this is waht I found, a small battery dated 2009, wires on tight. I think that this is not the right size battery for this car, hence why its running flat ?

see pictures. What make is the battery and what car is it really for ??

Its only 200m long !!!

cheers DB

1_69.jpg 2_30.jpg 3_25.jpg 4_9.jpg

If its not the right capacity for the car than it wont be holding enough charge for all the electrical gear running in the car.

What rating is the battery in the car?

AHHH which explains it going flat when I enabled the bOSE and started playing music again, thanks mate, looks like this mini nightmare is over !!!!!

Ok i got the covers off, and this is waht I found, a small battery dated 2009, wires on tight. I think that this is not the right size battery for this car, hence why its running flat ?

see pictures. What make is the battery and what car is it really for ??

Its only 200m long !!!

Looks way too small, I still have my old battery on the bench in my garage and it is 310mm long (170mm wide & 190mm high) a 'Varta 80a' I also have the invoice for my new battery and it states 'Banner 110a' so more power but the same size, anything smaller would 'rattle' about in the housing.

BTW new one cost me £89 +VAT in oct '09.

Looks way too small, I still have my old battery on the bench in my garage and it is 310mm long (170mm wide & 190mm high) a 'Varta 80a' I also have the invoice for my new battery and it states 'Banner 110a' so more power but the same size, anything smaller would 'rattle' about in the housing.

BTW new one cost me £89 +VAT in oct '09.

Thanks mate, im glad ive found the problem thanks to you guys, my battery cost 70 quid and its heavy duty 096 (same as the one on halfords)

• 10 months later...
My (2004) A3 3.2 has needed 2 new batteries since new, the first at a couple of years old the second a few months back.

It's a big battery, cost me around £90 IIRC and due to it fitting in a battery shaped compartment you'll need the exact size. You need a 'Torx' tool to remove the cover but they are readily and cheaply available and fitting the new battery is easy enough, note there is a breather/overflow pipe that should exit the bottom of the car and you'll need to reprogramme windows etc.

What do you mean by re-programming windows? Does the key fob need re-programming too and does anybody have the programming procedure as my key fob works in as much as it sends out a signal, but the doors don't open. Has anybody else experienced this problem.