Andy_Bangle

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you'd have to prise it out of his dead cold hands :grin:

....Either that or offer me over £25k and then I'd still have to think about it.

I've no idea what it's worth, Mook, but obviously not the total of what has been spent. Until the car dies, why sell? It does everything I want from a car and I love driving every single mile.

+++

I know it's academic Robin, and someone might be willing to part with an extra amount of money for it if it turned out you've modified perfectly to their taste, but believe me it ain't worth anywhere near £25k. :grin:

....Yes I know that. It's probably worth only £10k but my point was that I'm so pleased with my car as she now stands, that I would only consider selling at a very silly price.. Possibly. But what would I buy to replace her that suits my lifestyle - Last weekend I had a full-size keyboard, stage monitor, flutes, guitar pedals case etc. Or I can carry 4 wheels with tyres, my teenage daughter's belongings for uni, 4 passengers, and also hoon around the Ring or a track day. Overtake/brake/corner anywhere more safely etc etc.

I know I may be a bit extreme in my enthusiasm but it's how I feel.

So, back on topic (sort of): I reckon I wouldn't find the new Golf R quite quick enough and certainly not taut or tactile enough and lacking sufficient feedback. It's a production 5-seater hatchback and not a Porsche.

+++

• 3 weeks later...

APS has now announced the launch of a new Stage One ECU package for the Golf R. With Sportec's software upgrade, output is bumped from to 300bhp at 6000rpm and 321lb.ft (440Nm) of torque at 2750 rpm.

As a result, APS claims that the Golf R's 0-100 kmh (0-62mph) acceleration time is reduced from 5.7 to 5.3 seconds, with the top speed increasing to 160mph or 265 km/h.

The ECU package is suitable for both six speed manual and DSG dual-clutch transmission versions of the Golf R, with pricing set at £649 including installation, road testing and VAT (17.5%).

post-2214-137914443364_thumb.jpg

APS has now announced the launch of a new Stage One ECU package for the Golf R. With Sportec's software upgrade, output is bumped from to 300bhp at 6000rpm and 321lb.ft (440Nm) of torque at 2750 rpm.

As a result, APS claims that the Golf R's 0-100 kmh (0-62mph) acceleration time is reduced from 5.7 to 5.3 seconds, with the top speed increasing to 160mph or 265 km/h.

The ECU package is suitable for both six speed manual and DSG dual-clutch transmission versions of the Golf R, with pricing set at £649 including installation, road testing and VAT (17.5%).

And that's still slower than mine... :roflmao:

By the way, in March look out for news of the car that will take 4x4 hot hatches to the next level.

The Subaru Impreza STI Cosworth. Yep, a new collaboration, producing something that will, I'm told, make my 330S look a bit soft.

And I bet it'll still be cheaper than a Golf R. :P

And that's still slower than mine... :roflmao:

By the way, in March look out for news of the car that will take 4x4 hot hatches to the next level.

The Subaru Impreza STI Cosworth. Yep, a new collaboration, producing something that will, I'm told, make my 330S look a bit soft.

And I bet it'll still be cheaper than a Golf R. :P

Grab yer basball caps guys and get down to your nearest Subaru stealer :roflmao:

There really is more to motoring than a MKIV Golf, Riz. It is not the be all and end all.
No but im talking about the general shape of the models.... MK5 and MK6 are like baloons... lost their square-ness although the MK6 is trying to go back to square`ish angles.

Its not just Volkswagen.....

The original RS4 looks low and wide, the new one isnt as good looking

Porsche have gone back to their classic round headlights instead of those horrid 996 ones.

New cars seem to be getting bigger, more rounded, more eco-friend, less feel/soul and way more expensive! Old school is best.. end off.....

Riz :D

Unlike you to compare the blessed MKIV R32 to any other VW :roflmao:Don't tell me, none of them are any good compared to the MKIV.:R32? ;) It's evolution in car design terms and 2010! :roflmao:
:grin: Sorry I was just trying to generalise the way most manufacturers are going these days, they are forced to make more eco-friendly and safer cars etc.

You can`t really compare a 8 year old design with the new model etc but what you can compare is the new model against is its rivals..... its safe to say that the majority think the Golf R is way over-priced and thats nothing to do with what I think about it...... this is across many forums on the internet..... the minority will pay the £30-39k price.

So what are the rivals?

Subaru Impreza STi

Ford Focus RS

Audi S3 quattro

Any others?

There isnt really much competition at the moment?

Each to their own and no disrespect to potential owners or lovers of the new Golf R.

Oh and my dealers got a candy white passat in their showrooms with a R kit, its got the same R badges too... looked ok.

Riz :)