Audi S8 D2 newbie asks questions (and says hello!)

reza_q

Hi chaps,

Super forum and some great threads. To introduce myself. My name is Reza and I have just purchased my first Audi which happens to be an 1998 S8 D2 Quattro in silver! Wow, what a superb car. I have had around 42 cars including Subarus and quite a few BMW's (just sold my beloved E30 M3 to some dutch guys, sob sob) but I must admit the Audi is quite exceptional and the BEST place to be when travelling to work at 6.30am!

We are not however new to Audis as family. We have a TT 225 (heavily modified), a Mugello blue 2006 RS4 (with a crazy Tubi stainless on it!) and a 2008 R8 V8 in grey metallic (cracking car). BTW the RS4 and R8 are available for rental through our rental company. Anyhow...

The car is a 2 owner vehicle with a genuine 74000 from new with full Audi main dealer only service history. Its had 14 main dealer services with all supporting documentation and is booked in for its major service with Chingford Audi this month (I know the service advisor well and figured another stamp may serve the car well when it comes to re-sale). The spec is very comprehensive and includes;

BOSE upgrade hi-fi

Alcantara headlining and door card inserts

Sat nav

Electric everything

Heated rear seats

Electric rear blind and passenger blind kit

Leather lower dash

Telephone

Etc etc

I really wanted the final edition 20" alloys but couldnt find them so have settled on brand new 20" BBS CK's (8.5J x 20 ET38) and 255/35/20 Kumho KU31's. Wheels are at home and tyres are being fitted this Saturday by Event Tyres (mobile so no dodgy garages!).

Anyhow, my questions are these!

1 - I want to drop the suspension slightly with the 20" alloys but cannot find a spring set for an S8! Have found Eibachs for a A8 but I guess that would make no difference on my suspension height since its 20mm lower anyhow right? Is there a specific S8 kit out there (not interested in coilovers) that someone has used? Has anyone used the Eibachs on the S8?

2 - I have just popped in a K&N filter and now am desperate for a stainless exhaust. I've heard a lot about MIJ in Walsall and their prices looks quite superb, but whats the quality like? I've already decided thats its the midsport sound I'm after but I hope this isn't too loud? What tailpipe looks best on the S8? Something like the OE tail with bigger diameter would be nice I suppose.

3 - Finally, what kind of fuel economy do you get on V Power? So far my combined seems to be hovering around 20ish so I guess any better than this is wishful thinking right?

Any advice much much appreciated. Look forward to reading your responses!

P.s - Not one to plug anyone but I had the cambelt, all associated idlers/bearings etc plus a new waterpump and thermostat changed over the weekend by Dean from 4 Rings. Simply superb service and a brilliant job from start to finish. I cannot recommend them more! Only technician I've seen using a torque wrench on all of the bolts he touched. Superb!

First of all Welcome to Tyresmoke Reza +++

Sound like you've got yourself a low mile well specced S8 there. I've had my '02 S8 for 12 months now and i'm well pleased with it and have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

Only point i can help you with here is the exhaust. I've fitted a Milltek Cat-back system on mine along with a K+N panel filter and it has really waken up the sound of the V8 without being too loud. Not sure how much your wanting to spend but mine was around £800. Not the cheapest but probably one the best developed exhausts for the S8 on the market. Subtle too being similar to design as the standard tailpipe.

Get some pics posted when you have the wheels fitted too

Darren

Hi and welcome to Tyresmoke, your S8 sounds like a very nice example. I always run my S8 on V Power, but to be honest I cannot tell a diffrence from standard fuel in performance which I once used, but I did find I get 2-3 more MPG from V Power. The best I have had being sensible is about 24.5 mpg at around 70. I used MIJ on my old A8 and they give you a lifetime guarntee. I wouldn't use them on my S8 as I would want a real quality system on there such as a Miltek or something from powerflow with an X pipe. I am pondering over coilovers for my S8 but you can get some Blistein sport shocks will be circa £150 each for the fronts, and £135 each for the rears these are for the S8. You coming to the next meet? +++

Thanks for the comments gents. Yes I will put some pictures up this weekend once Event tyres have come and completed their fitting!

Only negative about the car that I can find is the horrific fuel consumption!

Singh, cannot believe that you are selling the wheels I was initially looking for!! Ah well, too late now. At least with the BBS alloys I save the weight...

Has anyone used the A8 designated Eibach springs on an S8 and actually resulted in a lower ride height? Not really interested in doing springs and dampers this time round as the car is still young and I'll probably only keep it 4 months!!

Where is the next meet?