A8 D2 Power Steering Problem

catfood

I appear to have an intermittent problem with my power steering, at times it can be stiff at low speeds or when parking, other times it seems fine. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a sensor on the steering column to feed the steering in and out depending on how quickly you`re going, looked for a thread but to no avail.

Any advice welcome.

Depends on which year you have... If it's newer then you may have servotronic (automatically adjusts the steering response).

You may have a problem with the power steering pump, or the belt that drives it, or maybe even the filter is clogged. Take the filter out of the reservoir and have a look to see how much crud is in it and give it a clean.

Hi, my servotronic (2001) also started acting up, it would switch on and off erratically, in the end I read on Audi | A4 A6 S4 TT A5 S5 | New, Used Reviews, Test Drives - Audiworld.com that some guys over there took out the servotronic relay switch anyway because they didnt like the light steering feel. So I took mine out too (its in the passanger footwell).

At first I wasnt too sure about the heavier steering at parking speeds, but you soon get used to it, frankly now I would never go back to servotronic, its too light.