Adjusting bi-xenons for driving on the right

gadgetmind

I have found reference to "tourist solution" on adaptation channel 10. Easy to do, but is it necessary?

Previous owner lived in UK but was Dutch, and thrashed this Audi all over Europe. I'm sure he had no lead, and am sure he did't oay the stealer £100 on the way out and back, so what did he do? I'm guessing at nothing.

Ian

Audi adjusted mine for free before I went abroad last time. Essentially, whatever they do just flattens out the lefty/upward flick that illuminates road signs and the road edge. I have no idea if it's hand cranked or a VCDS thing. No use asking the desk-jockeys that one...

But it was free. And it worked.

Thanks all.

There seem to be a few answers around here and the web.

1) No need to alter anything - the beam pattern is fine for both.

2) No need to alter anything - the Frenchies can just live with it being wrong.

3) Ideally it needs changing. Dealer either does for free or charges £100 to alter and the same to restore.

4) Use VCDS to adjust Xenon Level, Adaptation, Channel 10 Tourist Option, set to 1 for Europe, 0 when back in UK.

My plan is to go for 4.

On my D2, there was a lever on each light, documented in the manual, and I'd just shift it when on ferry/train.

YOY isn't this now a menu option?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it would depend on how fussy the police were once they stopped you, you could just risk carrying any old £3 bulb. A Xenon bulb costs £160 from Audi, they use a bulb called a D2S and can easily be brought on line for £30 or so.

kind of on the same topic....you need to carry bulb kits when driving on the continent...if you've got bi xenons does that mean you have to carry some very expensive spare bulbs? Just curious, i'm on normal lamps :D

Try putting one in at the side of the road, in the pouring rain in Franceshire - not easy!

I've got a Halfords bulb kit in the boot with everything except the Xenons, can't think the Frog Flic will look too carefully. Might take it to France later this year. Need to leave my Roadangel at home too or they'll confiscate it and fine you!

Last winter, I was cycling along in the pitch black (on my *very* well lit push bike) when I was passed by a Jaguar XK without its lights on. When I caught it in traffic, I tapped on the window and informed the lady driver that she didn't have her lights on. "Yes, I do!", she replied, curtly. I then noticed her dash was lit and her headlights were on. "Errr, in that case both your bulbs are blown at the back", I said. "Yes I know," she snapped, "but it's going for a service next week."

Yes, she fully intended driving around in the depths of the winter night with no lights at the back. I'd have suggested she might want to get them fixed sooner, but she whizzed her window up and rejoined the shuffling traffic. I decided I'd done what I could and whizzed off on my bike.

Ian

well at least she knew about it, so when the huge lorry didn't see her and squashed her car into a bean can she wouldn't have been suprised it happened! The first class stupidity of some road users takes some believing sometimes..................