Retrofit satnav A5 Cab

trishw

Are you sure, that would mean fitting the better screen which comes on Nav equipped cars, the Nav controller HDD drive unit and the entire centre console changing. Buy one with it fitted would be my suggestion, its certainly not like swapping out an RNS-E.

Are you sure

Yes 100%, craigyb and others have done several MMI upgrades to sat nav, and even 2G to 3G MMI upgrades are possible. Look at Audi Forum

its certainly not like swapping out an RNS-E.

Very true, it ain't easy and it ain't cheap, but it's possible.

Buying an MMI car with sat nav is an easier, and maybe cheaper, option - but if the rest of the car is right then you don't have to go without sat nav.

Also seriously consider a TomTom. I know its not quite the same as having a nice integrated unit, and for that reason I probably wouldn't do it myself... However, I've had an A3 (2006) with factory fit full navigation, a BMW 335i with iDrive and full navigation and now an A6 Avant with MMI 2G and navigation. While changing from the BMW to the A6 we borrowed a TomTom (something like TomTom Go Live 950??, fairly new unit). Its navigating abilities I personally thought were far superior to any of the integrated units, its easier to keep up-to-date and for a few pounds a month (subscription) can do far more intelligent traffic monitoring, safety camera alerts, etc..

Not quite the same I know, but speaking purely with Mr Sensible head on, makes a lot more sense.

:wq

The downside with any external Sat nav is the cables and sucker marks on your screen. not to mention the occational break in to see if you stashed it in the glove box.

If you do many miles like i do, then a factory fitted option is by far the best.

Also seriously consider a TomTom. I know its not quite the same as having a nice integrated unit, and for that reason I probably wouldn't do it myself... However, I've had an A3 (2006) with factory fit full navigation, a BMW 335i with iDrive and full navigation and now an A6 Avant with MMI 2G and navigation. While changing from the BMW to the A6 we borrowed a TomTom (something like TomTom Go Live 950??, fairly new unit). Its navigating abilities I personally thought were far superior to any of the integrated units, its easier to keep up-to-date and for a few pounds a month (subscription) can do far more intelligent traffic monitoring, safety camera alerts, etc..

Not quite the same I know, but speaking purely with Mr Sensible head on, makes a lot more sense.

:wq

Hi Dave, thanks for the praise, but let me say that the A4/A5/Q5 with concert/symphony is all can based and requires all the parts to be replaced for MOST parts. So it can be done, but it is not cheap and also RHD A4/A5 parts are like hens teeth, pretty hard to find.

Conversion to 2G would require the following.....

Can Gateway

Screen

CD changer

Radio

Amplifier

DVD navigation unit

MMI control panel

Associated cabling

Phone module (if fitted)

AMI (if fitted)

DAB radio (if fitted)

Conversion to 3G coud be done, but again new parts...

Can gateway

Screen

5F unit with DVD/HDD/Telephone/AMI/SD/SDS

56 Radio/amplifier/DAB (if fitted)

Associated cables

And a very friendly technician at Audi.