MIlton Keynes Snowdome

Frodo

I've not skiied at the Snow dome so cannot comment, however, depending on price and where you are at present, you might do better going to the Gosling Ski slope in Welwyn Garden City :

Address: Gosling Ski Centre , Stanborough Road , Welwyn Garden City , Hertfordshire , UK , AL8 6XE

linky

I have skiied there many times and you will not get too hassled to come in after your 1 1/2 Hours is up if they are not too busy - Sunday between 16:00 and 18:00 was always a good time as race training started at 18:00 so there was usually no-one around before hand.

The slope its self has the under mat misting system so is faily fast for a dry slope and people have been known to complain that it's too fast !!!!!!!

Go when it's raining or snowed and it's ace !!!!!!!

Are you in Essex or Oxfordshire at present ?

Might have to get my boots down for a play in the next few weeks.....

TSN on Plastic meet anyone ?

I have used the Tamworth snowdome in the past, and whilst it is fairly restricting, I prefer it to the dry slope at Bracknell (and yes, I have been there in the rain!).

I have every intention of visiting to the MK dome in the next four weeks for a couple of hours practice before heading off to the Alps. I believe the MK slope is bigger than the Tamworth one, so I'm hoping that it will offer more scope. BTW, my 'odd' route to MK takes me up the M40 to J10. If you fancy trying to go together ...

I've been to both Tamworth and MK, Tamworth was a loooong time ago but from what I remember it was better than MK ( I was there last year with work )

One thing to bear in mind is that the snow in these places, although better than carpets on dry slopes is VERY heavy and not really indicative of what you will get on the piste, well unless you include Spring skiing

I board a lot at Tamworth and have been to MK a few times. Out of the two MK definitely has the beter snow and more variety of the slopes ie permanent rails and jumps on one slope.

Basically Tamworth is one long slope and has nights that are skiers only / boarders only / ramp nights / etc. Mk is much wider and therefore they divide the slope into three sections and can please everyone at once as a result.

They also produce the snow in a different way. Tamworth produces it from ice blocks which results in a quite compact surface which doesn't give a lot of room for error with jumps, etc. MK uses snow blowers which is brilliant as you get a foot of real snow but when they get the climate slightly wrong in there it goes like sugar which is a bit of a mare.

Keep in mind that becasue of so many people on the same slope the snow is greasy and therefore not as fast to glide over as when you are on holiday.

just went to MK snowdome last night. Was gonna take some piccies but forgot my frickin camera!

Pretty impressed... but why didn't anyone tell me indoor snow is cold and wet? who'd have feckin thought it. Jast time i go in jeans.. no joy in a wet arse.

I'll be going again pretty soon if anyone is up for some quality laffing at bison action?

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a couple of hours there today (12.00 - 14.00), in preparation for my departure to Austria this Saturday.

Yes, the snow is better than I remember it being at Tamworth - almost powdery in places but a little deep at the bottom just where you need to turn/stop for the run back to the lifts (it's not possible to keep the skis running right up to the lift). The slope is longer and wider than Tamworth, but very straight - quite boring really, at least Tamworth has a bend near the top. It was pretty quiet - plenty of chances for a clear run. However, they did turn one of the two button lifts off at lunchtime (1 o'clock) - I guess this was due to lack of staff to supervise.

It seems to be quite well set up, but there is no clock visible anywhere - if you want to know how long you have left, you'll need to take a timepiece in with you. In my case, I'd only paid for 2.5 hours in the car park, and didn't want to collect a £60 fine!

I expected to feel a little bit tired after the two hours, but I feel perfectly okay - roll on Saturday! grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

here's my first post in the Snowstuff to match my first in the R32 forum!! (two in one night - will i ever get of this mac)

Anyway, I'm a member of Tamworth and go there at least once a week, sometime two. I also go to Xscape at Milton Keynes quite a lot and prefer the snow over Tamworth. Tamworth is more comfortable to get to the top though as those Poma lifts do my arse in. I like the atmosphere a little more than Milton Keynes as the ramps and rails there seem to attract the ego's.

I've been to Xscape at Castleford and was really let down. It wasn't as wide as Milton Keynes and since there is only one (albeit wider) slope, it was too crowded with learners and skiers (i'm a boarder and i'm keeping quiet about skiers as it's my firat post). I also found that you had to queue much longer and the bottom of the slope gets crowded with people waiting. The layout at Milton Keynes is much nicer.

I went there on saturday and the snow was thick, thick, thick! i stepped out at the bottom and lost my leg up to the knee nearly!!

My local slope is Bracknell as it's 5 minutes away. It had the worst dry slope surface i've ever used. BUT, it has now had a resurface with a new surface that is reported to be as close to snow as you can get! it's only on the middle slope at the moment but the plan is to get it on the biggest slope (it was trialed on the beginner slope) some time in April. This would mean that it will be fully fininshed by summer. This stuff doesn't need water to lubricate it meaning no slow spots. I'll let you know what it's like as i plan to get there this week.

High Wycombe is a lovely setting and a long long slope. It has you're general run of the mill artificial 'yard brush' surface but it pretty nice considering. The place has been bought by Snowdome, who own Tamworth, and they haven't decided if they'll put real snow there yet. would be lovely if they did.

I'm off to Les Arcs on monday for a few days and i'll be seeing the quiksilver jam while i'm there. Snow's looking thick there at the moment so should be good. I'll let you know how my first overseas boarding trip goes!!!

easy now!

Carl

btw - anyone wants a boarding buddy at any of these places, let me know. any excuse to get out....