New Apple MacBook Air 11" & 13"

Riz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I must say thats very impressive. Were the Office apps cached? Do 2011 apps open quicker than 2008? I might have to upgrade if they do.

My MBP is a 2.53Ghz Core2Duo with 4gb of 1067Mhz DDR RAM, but your Office apps definitely opened a little quicker than mine. I suspect that must be the SSD performance?

The video is as impressive as ever - Jony Ive on the Air.

However, it does bug me when you hear it is $999 in the US - so £637 here on todays rate - yet we're being asked to pay £849. I understand there are variances to be taken into account, tax, etc, but it's too big a gap and I do think Apple need to address it.

Wow. That's thin. Hmm.

Also, what's going on with you having Office 2011 on that machine!

I have just tried to go and buy it and everywhere tells me I can't get it until 26 October!

Also, what's the upgrade path? I have Office 2008 Mac for Business on an MBP and an iMac. However, all I can see is 'Home Business'. I don't want fecking 'Home Business', whatever it is. What is the equivalent 2011 product upgrade path from 2008 Business? Plus is it gonna be media only purchase or have they sorted out a download upgrade yet? They do piss me off at times.

The video is as impressive as ever - Jony Ive on the Air.

However, it does bug me when you hear it is $999 in the US - so £637 here on todays rate - yet we're being asked to pay £849. I understand there are variances to be taken into account, tax, etc, but it's too big a gap and I do think Apple need to address it.

999=637GBP UK Unit

849 Gross = 722 pre-vat

85 quid difference between the US and UK pre-sales tax. It's in line with a lot of manufacturers and for a lot of products - MS does much the same for about the same value, albeit they do economies of scale Apple appears not to.

Wow. That's thin. Hmm.

Also, what's going on with you having Office 2011 on that machine!

I have just tried to go and buy it and everywhere tells me I can't get it until 26 October!

Also, what's the upgrade path? I have Office 2008 Mac for Business on an MBP and an iMac. However, all I can see is 'Home Business'. I don't want fecking 'Home Business', whatever it is. What is the equivalent 2011 product upgrade path from 2008 Business? Plus is it gonna be media only purchase or have they sorted out a download upgrade yet? They do piss me off at times.

I'm special :D

There'll be a business equivalent. My notes have it at about 190 quid - that includes Outlook and the whole thing.

Dunno on the download thing - I get everything off the Intranet :grin:

Well I've just told MrsMe about it. I think she could justify one to replace a Philips laptop she uses.

EldestMissMe has a MBP now so that angle is out. MrsMe has an iPad but it's a gaming/mail machine for her more than anything as she still uses her laptop a lot. I reckon there is room for an Air there and I shall then 'acquire' the Philips for use at work for a little plan I have.

That's interesting. If they're claiming 5 hours on the 11", but you're getting 7 hours, that would mean 9 hours on the 13"....

However, I suspect they've factored in a degree of life expectancy too.

If I turn the brightness down to one block on my MBP I get a forecast of 7 hrs 4 minutes, and that's after it has been on for half an hour on half brightness. That makes the Air very impressive indeed.

Rachel

I refer thee to the fact that my 11.6" 64Gb/2Gb is imminently about to be replaced with a 11.6" 4Gb/128Gb unit :P I don't need a 13.3" - is too similar to my 15.4" beast.

Also, how do you get beastier than this: MBP 15.4" i7 2.66Ghz/8Gb RAM/240Gb OCZ Vertex2 SSD/1Tb SAMSUNG SSD.

I physically can't fit any spanglier stuff in there :grin:

I have just noticed you can no longer spec the 2.13GHz CPU with the 13" 128GB model on the UK Apple store :o

Do you think Apple will offer upgrades to take the RAM from 2GB to 4GB?

I`m seriously considering the 13" MacBook Air to replace my Acer Aspire 11.6" netbook. :D

Riz

Lion you mean?

By your argument you should constantly not buy anything tech given that everything is practically out of date the second it's released :P

I understand not buying when there's an imminent release or refresh (not for Apple, I just mean in general)... but for something that is 8 or 9 months away? If you can wait that long then chances are you don't need the product in the first place?