vw golf 2.0 tdi vs bmw 330d....

lensman

Yeah I know what you're thinking, another one of those 'mine vs yours' threads or here we go again 'fastest car on the planet faster than even a GTI ' threads ;) but this is a legit question...

Im considering a new car, have a chipped Audi A3 1.8T (150bhp->197bhp) at the moment that has served me well for 7 years, but, its done over 160K and things are starting rattle and squeek, changed the oil on it lately and it was blacker than black, basically its showing its age and I fancy a new car...with a bit more space.

Id like a diesel, I like the low down torque and relaxed driving they promote. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 types of car, VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140bhp or (wait for it coz its so similar:) ) a BMW 330d...

I want a sensible, economical, practical car, bit still fun when I want it to be. I would definitely get the golf chipped so looking at 170-180bhp right?, would this then be even remotely comparable to the stock 330d in real world driving conditions, ie 30-50, 50-70 acceleration on the motorways, mpg in both motorway and stop start in town/city driving?

Or am I kidding myself and the 330d is in a different league to the golf?

Much obliged for any opinions...

P.S. Ive put on my flame retardant suit so I'm prepared for your worst... ;)

I think the 330d will be in a different league. Even the early ones were nigh on 200 BHP??? and a big slug of low torque.

Lovely sounding engine too. MPG - the difference will be much less than you think in real world driving.

However, stomp the pedal in the BM and you'll see less than 30. Cruise about and you'll see 45+ - with the reserve to hoof along when you want.

Oh - If you go for an early Golf 2.0 TDi with the PD engine - then don't. It's a bit agricultural and not refined like the newer 2.0 TDi engine.

Hope that helps - but go, find and drive a few first. +++

the difference will be much less than you think in real world driving.

QUOTE]

I can verify that ;)

I have been in a very progressive drive in a Golf 2.0 tdi 170, chasing a 335d in the Scottish highlands and real world driving conditions doesn't really show massive differences in speed. I kept up with the 335d and Jim Diesel will verify and agrees that road driving doesn't really seperate "faster" cars from others.

Even a 1.6d Berlingo van can prove hard to shake off sometimes :grin:

• 1 year later...

Here's to reviving an old thread. I did go ahead and buy the BMW 330D and kept it for all of 2 months before a sold it!.

Initially I loved the 330D engine, loved the effortless grunt it gave and the car felt a lot smaller and sportier than I thought it would be by appearance.

But;

There's no getting round physics, once the new car sheen started to disappear it started to feel like the big and heavier car that it is, it felt laborious at lower speeds, rather than nippy its feet. Also as I opted for a manual, I found the gearbox quite notchy and the clutch pedal way offset from the seating position and after sitting in a few stop start traffic jams started to feel rather heavy. How can anyone really drive a manual 3 series is beyond me, as the offset clutch pedal became a right pain literally! There is a reason the automatics are more popular...doh!

It also wasnt that great on fuel either, the best I got out of it was 36mpg and that was with quite a bit of steady motorway driving at or under 70mph. I also got a flat tyre and baulked at cost of new run flats and the general cost of servicing on BMWs in general! wasnt a pretty sight seeing that first bill! Wasnt very practical either I tried taking some items to the local dump in it, hadnt realised before I bought it but the rear seats dont fold!!!! I know I should have checked but at the time it must of just slipped my attention, why on earth would you want your rear seats not to fold !!!!! And before someone says security! the parcel shelf isnt exactly Fort Knox.

All in all it was an expensive mistake, I sold it and have got myself a VW Golf 2.0TDI 140 that I originally wanted and have been a happy camper since, man I wish I had stayed within the VW fold :) its so much better a car for my needs. much better practicality, much better economy (47mpg and its chipped) and much more fun to drive! more chuckable and generally nippier, its also a far better driving position and normal clutch pedal feel and position. I know it wont hold a candle to a 330D on the motorway even chipped, but, for normal cut and thrust of A and B road driving with some motorways it really is a hard car to beat as an overall package.

I guess that old adage holds: 'Its more fun driving a slower car fast than driving a faster car slow'

Things I would change on the Golf:

- Less harsh suspension, really could do with softer springs, much like the current mk6 gold 2.0tdi can be had as an SE model, now that is a lovely ride.

- 17 inch wheels, 16 inch wheels would be perfect, less to curb and less road noise. again much like the current mk6.

Otherwise absolutely loving it :) and glad to be back in the peoples car! It definitely earns its title...

Edited by lensman

How old was the 330d?

It was a late 2006 model, ie pre facelift 231bhp. And yes an auto box on a big diesel is definitely better if only for those us with a wimpy left leg ;)

The BMW did have a lovely engine note for a diesel...+++