Virgin Super Hub

Calm Chris

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can amplify the signal, they add on attenuator's which come in various Db sizes - and +

When you consider some street boxes cover 500m+ runs to property, it really isn't something he should have made an issue over.

Cheers, I suspected he was talking guff. Where would they add the attenuators?

MrMe - how are you getting on with the Super Hub and its signal?

I've got the Virgin 100Mb service and I recently signed up to be on their Samknows speed monitoring programme. They sent me a preconfigured Netgear wireless router which I just hung off one of the Superhub's LAN ports. I then disabled the wi-fi on the superhub and the dhcp server on the Netgear. So now all the traffic is going through the Netgear router so they can monitor it. Wireless speed seems a lot more reliable throughout the house now. I can also use some features of the Netgear router which are disabled in the superhub, like the dynamic dns client.

It's ****.

Signal drops out, requiring a reboot, at least once a day.

Eldest can't get a stable signal in her room.

It's got to go

It's weird the different issues people have sometimes. I've probably reset mine three times in 4 months. Have you turned off the flood protection, that was my issue for a few days but it's been fine ever since.

The thing is - I shouldn't have to. I had a perfectly able and working router and modem and they've given me something that is crap - which let's be honest is pretty fecking clever of them. Not.

True indeed, they were meant to be provided a firmware that sorted it all, no idea if they have or not I've not check because mines working and it IT to me that means I'm not going to touch it. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Nervous times. Bodgitt and Leggitt have turned up to do my Virgin Media install. Already had words with Bodgitt as he got a cob on when I said he couldn't run any internal cables.

Keep an eye on Leggitt... he's the dodgy one! lol

We're trying with Virgin again after I found a Coax cable had been run to the house after all :) Let's hope it goes to the right box in the road... :fingers-crossed:

Nervous times. Bodgitt and Leggitt have turned up to do my Virgin Media install. Already had words with Bodgitt as he got a cob on when I said he couldn't run any internal cables.

Might be a bit late, but the cable tie external fixings are better than clips, where every 3rd one is deformed. On entry, the cable should have drip loops, and the hole outside to in should have a upward incline (again to stop water ingress).

Mushroom caps tidy things up.

MXCBBX.JPGBeware of shotgun, where they push too hard on the drill and blow brick (if done inside to out) or plaster (if done outside to in). Virgin do use contractors, and speed over quality prevails due to the job being on a fixed price.

Might be a bit late, but the cable tie external fixings are better than clips, where every 3rd one is deformed. On entry, the cable should have drip loops, and the hole outside to in should have a upward incline (again to stop water ingress). Mushroom caps tidy things up. Beware of shotgun, where they push too hard on the drill and blow brick (if done inside to out) or plaster (if done outside to in). Virgin do use contractors, and speed over quality prevails due to the job being on a fixed price.

Sky have already "installed" the cables to where we'll want the Virgin Coax to be run, so they'll not need to add to the mess (if the main cable to the house turns out to be okay)

After a shaky start, it's all sorted. I'm happy with everything other than the cable entry points; although they haven't damaged anything, they haven't used mushroom caps nor drilled on an incline so I'll need to seal everything for my own peace of mind. No need for drip loops as all the cable entry point are on the 1st floor (3 storey house) so the cable runs are vertical in the up direction.

BB speed is around 20mbps rather than the advertised 30 but that's using it wirelessly on the second floor. The hub *appears* to be working fine. The signal strength is as good, if not better, than my ADSL set up and I haven't found any blackspots in the house which was a big concern. Only time will tell but so far, so good.

The only thing I haven't worked out is how to set up my new virgin email account to work with Outlook (POP3, SMTP etc) but I'll save that for another thread.

Incomming mail server (IMS) pop3.blueyonder.co.uk or virgin etc

Outgoing mail server smpt.blueyonder.co.uk or virgin etc

User name- well you have a alpha numeric for that, we use all 15 mail accounts across the family- 3 mail addresses tagged to each alpha numeric.

Say "example" CM 123p 1234, then you have 5 sub sections _1, _2, _3, _4 and _5.

Mine are _1 and _2 so I see 6 x address via my Outlook login. Those email addresses are created on line via the my virgin user log in. So I have 2 mail addy's in my name, then cabling@, and projects@, and telecommunications@ and electrics@.

The password was generic, as supplied at conception by Virgin and you change that to your own secure password.

It's easy to do the basics, so if say you run 1 desktop with 4 users then it all gets done on the individual users Outlook- or if you run different PC's then it's just a matter of going to each machine.

Yup, managed to sort it. I hadn't ticked a tick box in the account settings which was why I was struggling. For the time being I've only got the one email address I set up at the beginning however over the weekend I create ones for the laptop as well as individuals.

The speed is all over the place at the minute. I am getting less than 1mbps upstairs on the desktop at the moment which is a worry. I'll try on the laptop later.

Personally I never use ISP supplied email addresses just because changing email address is such a ball ache and I don't want to be tied to an ISP just because of the email address.

If only I'd had the sense to do that (8) years ago.........

Totally understand what your saying, but it's done now and I'm pretty sure we will end up being life long customers of Virgin.

If things ever change I'll just have to do mail forwarding and run 2 x ISP's side by side for a few months, and adjust the stationary etc..

Personally I never use ISP supplied email addresses just because changing email address is such a ball ache and I don't want to be tied to an ISP just because of the email address.

Tell me about it. I never gave it a thought until now. There are endless accounts to change, pffft.

I'm getting 30mbps wirelessly in the next room to the router however from my office (which is where I could do with the higher speeds.....) on the next floor up, it's about 2.5mbps

Is this purely down to the hub being shite at pushing its signal out?

edit - I should add, the 2.5 is using an old desktop with a wireless adaptor

Edited by Milo

It's g I think but having said that, 20mb would be more the adequate for the office.

I have got my laptop, Toughbook and desktop all set next to each other in the office and have ran consequetive speed tests.

Laptop = ~20mb

Toughbook = ~15mb

Desktop = ~5mb

More worringly, all keep dropping the fecking signal. I have rebooted the hub and it *may* have stabilised things but if it becomes an issue, they can come back and rip the whole lot out before the 28 days cancellation time is up. I was getting a steady and stable 6mb on my 8mb ADSL connection up until today and that's sufficient for me.

Thing is, I'd do a wired test on everything. Maybe it's me, but 99% of PC's and laptops (up to 6 years old) all have 100b T or 100 Mbps cards.

Speed test that, and if the wireless gives much less it sort of helps point to the problem. If Virgin do what they say via wired, then the wireless (LESS- there's a pun some where near) side is the issue.

If the issue is distance, say 10m with a closed door = 75% performance is good, 15m with a floor level change and 2 closed doors and some steels and (anything wireless hates) in the way is sh1te, then what's the call ?

It isn't unreasonable to expect a quality wireless signal from a primary source, and if in house there's a problem Virgin should resolve it.

Surely it's not rocket science to offer a couple of tested (and UAT passed) signal 'enhancers' that kills all and any wireless signal issues even in 35 room mansions like your's.

A 35 room mansion, it is not :grin:

The Toughbook and laptop are consistently clocking 18mb-25mb now and they are right next to the desktop which is only 5-6mb.

That to me points to a crappy desktop setup. It's a fairly old PC with no wireless card, hence I'm using an adaptor. I was getting the same speed on my wireless ADSL connection so I'm not too bothered, it's the stability that's key to me.

The hub is on the middle floor of 3 (dining room); the office is diagonally opposite the hub (on the next floor) so it's not in the ideal place. In what was the snooker room which has 4 x brick walls, the signal is better than it was previously and I'm getting 15-20mb using the laptop.

In the living room which is seperated from the hub only by a paramount wall (bloody awful things), I'm getting 30mb so I guess Virgin would argue their kit is doing what it says on tin.