Reverse Parking Sensors. A4 cab.

billington

Hi, the parking sensors on my B6 cab.have failed for the third time, unfortunately far enough out of the warranty period to make a sympathy claim unrealistic. (The first two failures were covered). My dealers have diagnosed a faulty sensor and quoted £236 to replace it! Can anyone advise me on couple of points?

1. If I disconnect the faulty sensor, will the system work without it?

2. If I pull the fuse for the system will anything else be disabled? (The long 'bleep' is annoying)

3. As an alternative to the Audi system, Parking-sensor.co.uk will instal a complete new colour-coded system for £160 at my home. Are there any known snags with having this done on a car which already has the Audi system fitted?

I would be grateful for any advice on this; I really miss them!

Buy one from ebay or a scrap yard for £30 and fit it yourself?

Part numbers are: 4B0 919 275 B for the inners and 4B0 919 275 A for the outters.

ebay.de linky: 4b0 919 275 | eBay

Edit: just found the link on UK ebay: Darius-Kaiser items - Get great deals on Neuwertiger AUDI PDC 4B0919275 Parksensor 4B0 919 275 items on eBay Stores!

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Hello. Another query on this problem I'm afraid. The cost of the part from Germany located by Andy_Bangle is a reasonable £37. For comparison I asked my dealer his price and that is £82.67! (How do they get away with it??) The only thing is that the dealer added the letters GRU to the end of the part number. Is that significant, does it mean that the german part would not be interchangeable with mine? I would be grateful if anyone could help me on this before I go to Ebay for the part.

I think if you get the valance off you can get to them without removing the bumper itself as a few have gone on RS4s, may be a bit tricky though. I would also be sure is the sensors themselves, rather than the controller before replacing them if you have good (or young enough) ears you can hear them clicking if put your ear near each one in turn. My guess would be GRU is probably to indicate it is/isn't painted, rather than any interchangeability or lack of.

The fuse probably covers more than the sensors, but the dash button should let you turn them off or you can probably disable with VCDS

I have been told that if you put the car in reverse and put your fingers on the sensors, you can feel a tingling if they're working - can't back that up though.

You can't just remove a duff sensor and leave the rest connected, you will still get the beep. You can plug the car into VCDS and it will tell you which sensor is broken, or if it's the control unit.

GRU means it is supplied in primer (this goes for any part)

I've not found a way to disable one in VCDS but I did help a guy with an A6 who had an issue with them.

A quick diag told him specifically which one was faulty which he then replaced himself (including taking the bumper off) and it saved him hundreds over getting a dealer to do it.

This sounds great! The dealer told me which sensor was not working (for a modest £30 + vat) and I have an appropriate one on order from the Ebay site in Germany identified by Andy_Bangle at a cost including postage of £38. My dealer quoted £82.67 to supply one sensor. I have had a look at removing the bumper cover and it looks reasonably straight-forward, though lots of trim has to come out. I will report on completion. Unfortunately my ears are about 50 years too old to detect the sound of a sensor working and I do not have a switch on the dash controlling them as they are only fitted on the rear. I could actually touch and wiggle the wire and sensor by slipping my hand up behind the lower (black) valence, but could not see what I was doing or get any purchase to detach the wire of depress the retaining clips. I am grateful for the information about the GRU suffix and will dig out my touch-up kit. The only question remaining is whether replacing the sensor will get the system working again or whether it will all have to be reset by the dealer.

Well, the sensor duly arrived from Germany, beautifully packed, and is now fitted and working. I found it a bit of a struggle, not helped by the usual sketchy information given by Elsawin, so I probably stripped much more trim off than I needed to. Next time I reckon it will take about an hour, and I am sure there will be a next time, given the failure rate I have had so far! Meanwhile I am chuffed at having saved myself £200. Better in my pocket than my dealer's! Thanks again to all on this forum who have always been so helpful.

• 10 years later...

The volume I believe can be adjusted via  VAGCOM if you know anyone who has it. In terms of location, try looking under the carpet in the boot, not sure exactly what age it changes but it was there for some models 🙂