Want to get Forza 4 - what's the best kit to buy?

Mook

OK, want to see what all this Forza 4 fuss is about - it's had some awesome write-ups.

So I need an Xbox 360 and the Forza 4 game. What else do I need? Wireless steering wheel? Wireless controller? Kinect?

Is there a bundle I can buy of all the hardware I need, or maybe with the game as well?

What else to I need to know, other than the fact that'll I'll lose way too many hours of my life playing it and competing with Mook Jnr on races :D

Cheers m'dears +++

To be honest the kinect will be have novelty value for a bit but it wont be as accurate as a control pad let alone a steering wheel. All Xbox 360's come with one controller as standard so you will have to buy a second one thats for sure. I would also get the rechargeable battery packs too.

Steering wheel i would lay off for now as you may not even like the game enough to want to take it to that stage as its a bit of a pain to setup correctly.

This seems like a good deal. You get 2 controllers and a headset included too. +++

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Elite-Console-Drive-Forza/dp/B002PU9UCM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320666614&sr=8-4

Or just with 1 controller and the game

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/24448657/Xbox-360-S-Console-Bundle-With-250GB-HDD-Forza-Motorsport-4-Matte-Black/Product.html?searchstring=&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=2&searchfilters=ae212{643897}%2bc{362}%2bc{10049}%2bc{4656}%2b&urlrefer=search

Edited by fizzbitt

Why do I need a second controller? Can you have two drivers at the same time using Forza 4?

And isn't the Xbox steering wheel made by Microsoft? I'd have though you plug it in, tell the Xbox it's there and then just use it. I hate the PS2 controller - it's completely counter-intuitive to me pressing buttons to steer etc.

Fair point on the microsoft wheel but there are many sensitivity settings etc which still need adjusting to suit the individuals needs. With regards to the second controller, thought you might want to play with Mook Junior in split screen racing. +++

edit: think you might have been out the gaming scene for a while as you dont have to use buttons for steering on the PS3 control pad. In fact even the PS2 you could use the mushroom sticks (forgotten what they are called!) to steer. :P

I know sod all about "the gaming scene". That sounds a bit too much like dogging for my liking.

Whether it's a stick or a button, steering with it is counter-intuitive to me. One of the things that I like about Forza 4 is the reality of the cars. I can't see any point in having cars and tracks that look like they do and button to steer it. Happy with buttons to accelerate and brake, but not for steering +++

Just pop into your local GAME store and pick up an XBox360 250Gb console, a MS Forza4 Wireless Steering Wheel and a pre-owned copy of Forza4.

Or Tesco Direct:

Microsoft Xbox 360 250GB with Forza 4 - Tesco.Direct

and

Microsoft Xbox 360 - Wireless Speed Wheel - Tesco.Direct

Failing that, I have a PS3 and a copy of GT5 here collecting dust if you want it (Forza/XBox just better game play)

Don't know - it's just a hard disk, but might be warranty issues?

Stuff like this (forget about who's selling them - this is just for comparison) Xbox 360 - Xbox 360 Consoles | Ebuyer.com

So there's a 4GB and a 250GB, then a 4GB bundled with other stuff.

I find it interesting that it's not that easy to find out not that there's loads of model options, but why I would buy one over the other. I've honestly not got a clue.

Don't know - it's just a hard disk, but might be warranty issues?

Stuff like this (forget about who's selling them - this is just for comparison) Xbox 360 - Xbox 360 Consoles | Ebuyer.com

So there's a 4GB and a 250GB, then a 4GB bundled with other stuff.

I find it interesting that it's not that easy to find out not that there's loads of model options, but why I would buy one over the other. I've honestly not got a clue.

Right, firstly you have the older XBox consoles still being sold, the ELITE, CORE etc... these are attractivly priced, but have no WirelessN built-in and suffer more from overheating processor issues (Red Ring of Death). So you need to be looking at the new XBox 360 S in either 4GB or 250GB flavors. A lot of games require additional space, downloading DEMO games, films, music, etc..... If you have a spare 2.5" HDD knocking about, then you just need a mounting tray and a screwdriver to upgrade (this would technically knacker your warranty though). Personally for the extra, I'd go with the 250GB and be done with it.

KINECT: For Forza4, it a gimic. It will track your head movement so you can look out the side windows of the car and it's quite cool to look round the interiors of cars... but I switched it off after half-an-hour. For the family though, it's feckin cool. The kids love it, but you need a MINIMUM of 6' between the KINECT and where you stand/dance/strut your stuff, 8' really.

It will track your head movement so you can look out the side windows of the car and it's quite cool to look round the interiors of cars.

So, how does that work then, surely if you turn your head, you wouldn't be looking at the TV?

With regard to the HDD, have they changed the new Xbox's then? the old ones used to slot on the side, so although they were easy to change, you had to buy an X-box specific one.

Oh, and with regard to steering wheels, not only do they cost a fortune, but (for me) I find they make games harder to play, and strangely less enjoyable.

I guess it's because I'm used to control pads having playing consoles for as long as I can remember, but I just don't like using steering wheels on games.

• 2 months later...

I guess it's because I'm used to control pads having playing consoles for as long as I can remember, but I just don't like using steering wheels on games.

I used use joysticks to control the cars, Grand Prix 2!!

Never used a steering wheel and would like to give it a try!