2007 A4 DPF Water loss

_Tone_

Hi Guys

Thought I'd mention the latest issue I have had with my A4, since buying it earlier this year I have had to top up the coolant a few times.

Fortunately I purchased the car from an Audi dealer with their usual used car warranty and they have looked after me/car very well. Its been in for a couple of days where they did the pressure tests on the reason why the coolant was dissapearing.

I got the car back and they asked me to keep an eye on the coolant and it wasnt three weeks when it was erroring in the DIS that coolant was too low.

Ive filled the coolant with 1 litre of collant on 3 occasions since buying the car in April, the dealer is now looking at changing the head and another part that could be the reason for the leak.

The car has been in for all this week (they have given me a new A5 TDi courtesy vehicle) and they told me today that they are still working out who is going to pay for the £2500 - £3000 bill which is 1/3 of the cars value!

I was wondering if any of you had come accross coolant leaks where a pressure test proved inconclusive?

Cheers

Tone

Not on an Audi but I did have the engine on my R32 replaced by VW after 4 years of ownership and 64k miles for a similar reason. All of a sudden started using coolant and they couldn't find the leak even after pressure testing but it downed out it was a porous block and it had developed a pinhole. Thankfully VW picked up the tab as I subsequently found out that VW knew there was an issue with some blocks and issued a technical bulletin to make dealers aware of it.

Mook thanks for letting me know it gives me more confidence in the warranty.

Wow so for instance if the head was changed and the block was the fault it's literally a new engine! :o

In insurance terms when does a £9k (trade price) car become uneconomically viable to repair?

Thanks again

Tone

Audi called today and have approved the head replacement - they are going to change the timing belt and water pump for me (£225 for the parts) as they have most of the gubbins out and it should save me £200-300 in getting that done when I hit the mileage.

Will the engine have been drained of oil for all this (sorry if that sounds a stupid question...)?

Cheers

Tone

Hi Chaps

Yeah they have renewed the oil and filter - tried to see if I could have the service indicator reset but they say there are a few other things that are done on the next service so wouldnt mark the book as "serviced" which is a shame!

I'm gonna pick it up today.

Cheers

Tone