Irritating I Series Squeaks & Rattles !!

Slimty

Just bought a 2009 120D M Sport, no miles on it to speak of, and just returned my company 2010 Golf GTD 170.Thought that they would be similar in some ways,nasty shock to realise the BMW isnt a patch on the Golf GTD,not in build-quality, finish, performance,or economy,and it has come with all the unrequired "Extras" that I have read about on these forums,a particularly irritating squeak on the clutch -Spring, and an aggravating and untraceable rattle in the Fascia,in the area of the vents.

That said, its a beautiful car,and handles well...

Might look at re-mapping to give some GTD performance,keen to hear any advice on all the above,please.

Hi Slimty and welcome to TSN.

Not too surprised to hear your comments on the interior, the 1-er is not BM's finest interior build quality wise, but it's solid...

I am surprised by the performance and economy comments. The 120d is a cracking car and I'd have thought it would equal the performance of the Golf, is it that it 'feels' slower rather than actually 'is' slower, as the chassis is able to put down and handle the power much better? Can't remember when the ED cars came out, do you have stop/start? The ED cars are c20% better on fuel.

A remap will make c200bhp and a bucket load more torque, Evolve have done loads of these.

I do remember my first BM, in 1996, an automatic 316i Compact... anyone remember them? :grin: Anyway, I went out at lunchtime to try it out and was distinctly disappointed by the performance. I had assumed BMWs would be quick, but it really didn't feel it. Then I looked down at the speedo and realised it was quick, it just didn't feel it.

No idea if this applies to the 1er, but it took me by surprise all those years ago.

Thanks Biscuits & Co,

Consolation, of course, actually this is the 143bhp N47 version, so I should have realised it would not pull like the GTD,however you are so right about a lot of it not actually feeling so quick,when really,it is.

An Angel remap will give around 175 bhp,and this should do the trick.Thanks for your prompt reply,I am still tearing out what remains of my hair over the clutch-spring and the buzzing,though.